Kentucky Now Has A Home Baking Cottage Food Law!

Business By Jeff_Arnett Updated 3 Apr 2018 , 8:03pm by -K8memphis

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Apr 2018 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 4

If you haven't yet her, the Governor of Kentucky signed into law HB263 the Kentucky Home Bakers Act.  

Now KY bakers can make and sell cakes, cookies, candies, etc. out of their home, at events, etc.  No fees  or home inspections are required either.

Not sure yet the date the law actually goes into effect  (heard possibly July 1, 2018) but it's a great day for KY's talented home bakers!!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2018 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 4

a great day for home bakers -- a bad day for current bakeries

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 3 Apr 2018 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 4

I guess it depends on where you are in KY....but in this area bakeries are few and far between...most Walmart or grocery delis which do basic cakes...and not a very good job at that.  There's plenty of room for custom bakers who can deliver what the local deli-bakery can't.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Apr 2018 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 4

I hope it works well for all -- although the scale is definitely tipped away from bakeries, surely there are a few left -- hope the home bakers all set their prices to succeed -- that hasn't gone well in other states -- and it is typically not the mind set of enough of the home bakers so it could get crazy -- united we stand -- divided we charge what we spent on the cake ingredients -- you know how that goes --

best to you, jeff -- I have always admired your work and advice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%