Allergen Free?

Baking By amybaez86 Updated 2 Apr 2018 , 9:46pm by Mez1225

amybaez86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amybaez86 Posted 2 Apr 2018 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 3

Hello all!

I am a novice baker, so please excuse my ignorance.

Would the following recipes be considered "nut free"?

Vanilla Cake: All purpose flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Butter, Sugar, Vanilla, Eggs, Whole Milk?

Chocolate Cake: All Purpose flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, Baking powder, baking soda, salt, milk, coffee, oil, eggs, vanilla.

Aside from adding nuts to a recipe, what would make these above recipes "nut free" friendly?  What do I need to look for to be sure this is in fact "nut free"?

Any help is appreciated!

2 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 2 Apr 2018 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 3

I think you’re pretty safe with the ingredients you’ve listed. If you’re adding something specific, let’s say chopped chocolate bars, you have to make sure the product hasn’t come in contact with nuts. Usually says on the package, “Made in a nut free facility”.

Mez1225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mez1225 Posted 2 Apr 2018 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 3

Hi! My son has a nut allergy, so this is what I consider. You basically have to consider each item and if it has come into contact with nuts.

You need to read each ingredient to see if it lists whether it may contain nuts. You’d be surprised where you see it, and every brand can be different, and how it labels. Some will label directly on the package if there are nuts on the same line or facility, some you need to call

Also, every also has their own safety tolerance, I guess you could say. Some are ok if there are shared facilities, some are not.

You also have to consider your current ingredients, if using ones on hand. For example, did you use a measuring scoop and scoop nuts, and then directly scoop out of your flour container. If so, then it’s cross-contaminated.

Sorry for the long response, but if you have any questions let me know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%