Broken Mixer Help

Baking By ChelseaAnastasia Updated 24 Mar 2018 , 10:43pm by SandraSmiley

ChelseaAnastasia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChelseaAnastasia Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 10:20am
post #1 of 9

Hello, I am having lots of trouble making frosting. It's not so much the making part but the actual mixer - I've already completely broken 2 cheapish hand mixers and have recently invested in a Kichenaid hand mixer thinking this should handle the thick mixture better but even this is starting to show signs that it doesn't like it! My question is - what does everybody use to make frosting? I think because the mixture of butter and icing sugar is a thick mixture it's wearing the motor out but if so how does everybody else make frosting? I can't afford to keep buying hand mixers! Please help! Thankyou xx

8 replies
Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 11:13am
post #2 of 9

I use a KitchenAid stand mixer. I guess most of us are also using a stand mixer. Those machine are a lot stronger than hand mixer.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 9

what is your recipe, chelseaanastacia? you are right to be alert for the motor straining -- 

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 9

I have two stand mixers..One KitchenAide & One Kenwood.  I use the Kenwood most.  Invest in a good stand mixer, the motors can handle more.  I've never had issues making frosting in either one.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 9

and how much are you trying to make at once?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 9

As   K8memphis posted, how much are you making at one time? And as others have posted, if you want to make big batches of icing, or run the mixer for any length of time, you need a good stand mixer.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 9

I have a KA and the only time it struggles is when my icing is too thick before I add the liquid. There have been many tines I thought that I would kill it, but I didn't...yet lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 9

Do try this recipe:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing    I have used it to make icing with a cheap hand-held and it did fine.  Good luck :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 9

Your icing must be really thick, because I've made frosting a million times with an inexpensive Black and Decker hand mixer.  I now have a KitchenAid stand mixer which I use (two, in fact) and it has never struggled making icing.  One of my KA's is a seven quart pro model purchased solely for it's powerful motor, which I use to make fondant, gum paste and yeast breads, all of which are much heavier and thicker than any frosting I've ever made.  I use the 5 quart Artisan for making frosting, unless I am making a huge batch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%