Friday Night Cake Club For 3/23/18

Decorating By kstevens Updated 28 Mar 2018 , 4:27pm by Njewett

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 23 Mar 2018 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 34

Opening up another session of FNCC!  Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Happy Friday everyone!  I hope everyone had a nice week.  Here in Nova Scotia we got hit with a snow storm yesterday bringing about a foot of snow.  Winter is not letting go.  I had tulips starting to poke through the ground, hope this isn't their demise.

I had a very nice lady from NC contact me this week to say a baker in her area was using a photo of mine and presenting it as though it was her cake.  Funny thing about it was that she didn't even bother to to remove my watermark!  I contacted the "thief" through her business page as if I was interested in purchasing my cake. I gave her the opportunity to come clean on the cake not being hers but she of course, claimed it to be her own work.  Once I let her know who I was and to kindly remove my photo from her business page she simply said she has made cakes like it before which she seemed to think made it ok to use my photo.  I told her to post photos of her own cake then and if she didn't take mine down that I was reporting her as fraudulent.  That is when she told me I was a nasty jealous person and blocked me from further communicating.  I really don't know how people get away with stealing photos and using them as their own.  Judging by most of the other cakes she had posted she clearly does not possess the skill set to make the cake like mine.  You'd think customers would catch on pretty quick and start giving negative feedback?  At any rate, in the end she did remove my photo.

I'm working on a cake for a co-worker's dad's birthday tonight and then am hosting an early Easter dinner on Sun so I probably won't be able to check back in until later Sun night.  Looking forward to seeing what you've all been up to!

Kelly

33 replies
shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 4:03am
post #2 of 34

We moved last month. So right now I finally am getting organized to bake again. I am in planning stages of a Mario themed cake for my son's birthday and I plan on making a Faberge egg cake for Easter dinner at my in-laws. This week is spring break for my sons so we are taking my younger son to Seattle for the Mariners opening day on Thursday also. My baking time will broken up but I hope My timing is right as we have a hour drive now to get to their house.

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 5:18am
post #3 of 34

No cakes for me this week, just maple syrup :-)

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 5:43am
post #4 of 34

I had two cakes this week. The first one I was sent a pic (believe it was from Pinterest) with JoJo Siwa images on it. She purchased the images on Esty and placed them on the cake herself after delivery. The second was a Starbucks themed cake for one of my coworker's. Both turned out pretty well in my opinion, but next time given enough notice I would rather purchase a edible image of the Starbucks logo than try to cut it out and paint it by hand. :p

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 5:44am
post #5 of 34

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 5:44am
post #6 of 34

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 24 Mar 2018 , 11:08am
post #7 of 34

Nothing for me this week either. I'm planing on making my first sugar cookies for Easter. First time with royal icing also. Any tips I should know? I've watch a lots of video on how to flood them, but  achieving the right consistency for the RI stresses me out... I'm usualy prety bad at piping so it might be a complete disaster!

@GIGGLEBOX2014 both your cake looks great! I love the 7th birthday cake. Colors are so vibrant and the bow is beautiful

shdvl Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 3:38am
post #8 of 34

One tip from online I found works is use a spray bottle to adjust your consistency just one or two sprays at a time. It also washes down bowl or mixer with less scraping . My mother in law make the best sugar cookies I began using her recipe.  Normally I don't do more than ice in one color so I can't help there.

Anyone know is Wilton Color Mist will stick to candy like jelly beans. I can't see spending 6 to 12 dollars just on Jelly Bellys that the recipe I am following calls for to decorate the cake,

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 12:10pm
post #9 of 34

@GIGGLEBOX2014 you did a great job on the Starbucks logo. Both cakes are great the icing looks so smooth what is your secret?

@kstevens the nerve of some people. To use a picture with your watermark still on it and pass it off as her work is just unbelievable.  

@thecanadian160 the maple syrup sounds good. Do you just bottle it up or is it long process? Just curious. 

@Laetia I heave done RI and it always terrifies me. When I think it is the right consistency  for the outline I pot a little in the bag with the tip I am using to make sure the outline works and if it doesn’t I add a little water ( and I like the idea of spraying it ) and keep trying. I do the same thing for the flooding icing. If I make it to thin I just add a little more powder sugar. The last time I made it I did better with fewer adjustments. I just don’t do enough to be a pro at it. 

I am have a baby shower cake coming up in April but I do not know the theme yet it is for a coworker. I also have a wedding cake in April but it should be a simple two tier cake. 

Njewett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Njewett Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 34

This is my first cake of the year. It was my first attempt at fondant silhouettes. Friday Night Cake Club For 3/23/18Friday Night Cake Club For 3/23/18Friday Night Cake Club For 3/23/18

Laetia Posted 25 Mar 2018 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 34

@thecanadian160 maple sirup, realy? Do you make the thing, I mean boiling maple water and let it reduce until you obtain sirup? I've always wanted to try that. Maybe one day!

@kstevens I knew some people were not honest, but seriously, lying to your face like that is unbelievable... hope this story ends well after all

@shdvl thanks for the spray bottle tip, I'll remember that. Can't wait to see you Mario cake!

@Marian64 I guess RI is kind of trial and error when you're not use to it... I'll try to remember that when I'll think to myself that I fail miserably! Thanks for your input!

@Njwett nice cake! Silhouettes look realy good. I live the colors you chose and the wood effect on your board

Njewett Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 12:38am
post #12 of 34

GIGGLEBOX2014- I love both of your cakes. I would also love to know how you get your frosting so smooth.

Laetia- thank you for the complements. 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 3:49am
post #13 of 34

Thanks everyone!

@Marian64  I like to call it OCD. lol. Just keep using my bench scraper over and over and over again. On the Starbucks cake I used a Viva paper towel on the printed side to get a little more texture. I could've done a much better job on the logo, but after hand painting her face , hair and such I kinda gave up I guess, and used one of my font cutters and did the letters. Which is why they are much larger than they should be. =( But my co-worker asked me where I purchased the logo from, and I told him I created it myself and even hand painted it, and he was floored! So I felt much better about it. =)

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 3:51am
post #14 of 34

@Njewett   

I LOVE your cake board!!! <3

kstevens Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 3:02pm
post #15 of 34

@GIGGLEBOX2014 love the bright colors on your first cake and your Starbucks one turned out great as well!

@shdvl that is a great tip about using a spray bottle to adjust royal icing consistency.  Thanks for sharing!

@Njewett your silhouettes look great!  Did you hand cut them all?  I also really like the teal wood grain cake board.

I am late checking back in as I was exhausted last night after doing the cake for my coworker's dad for Sat. and then all the prep for our early Easter dinner yesterday.  It was a successful weekend though! 

For the birthday cake, my coworker asked for something deer/outdoorsy themed.  I searched online for inspiration and the main idea came from a cake I saw by Jarka Sipkova.  I was really happy with the finished product and my coworker loved it!  She said her dad really liked it too.  I guess he carefully peeled off the image of the deer and is trying to figure out how to preserve it. lol  

For Easter dinner I made a 3D Easter egg cake and kept it rather simple.  I wanted it to look like a giant chocolate egg so I covered it in chocolate ganache and then decorated with wafer paper flowers and a touch of silver leaf.  The second cake is a carrot cake which is one of my dad's favorites.  He isn't a fan of fondant so I kept the decorations simple on it as well.  My third dessert was a new recipe I wanted to try for lemon meringue cheesecake that I forgot to take a picture of.  It was YUM!!  At each place setting I had little bunny cookie decorations for everyone to take home with them.  I saw them on good old Pinterest made by galletas artesanas.  They were fun to make!

kstevens Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 3:04pm
post #16 of 34

kstevens Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 3:04pm
post #17 of 34

kstevens Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 3:05pm
post #18 of 34

Njewett Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 4:47pm
post #19 of 34

kstevens- Your cakes and cookies look great. I love the deer on the birthday cake and the bunny cookies are so cute. Yes I cut out of the silhouettes by hand. 

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 7:28pm
post #20 of 34

This past week of snow storms and overall terrible weather had me making a couple of cakes for entertainment value  (that's my own entertainment!)  I called this a N'oreaster Bonnet for obvious actual background reasons!  Also I have these fun impression molds that I wanted to play around with!

theresaf Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 7:30pm
post #21 of 34

The other cake I made I decided to call a CHOCODILE  - the other two "posers" are not cake!

Friday Night Cake Club For 3/23/18Friday Night Cake Club For 3/23/18

shdvl Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 8:46pm
post #22 of 34

@kstevens your cakes look super. I can see why the coworkers dad was trying to save the deer it looks almost real.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 8:59pm
post #23 of 34

@Njewett amazing silhouettes and to be done by hand. Wow!

@kstevens wow that deer cake is amazing. 

@thereas not sure where you are but that is just to cold for me. I love both cakes. I love the knitted hat. Did you apply the fondant already molded or did you do it after it was on the cake. It looks flawless.

theresaf Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 9:15pm
post #24 of 34

Thank you @marian64!  I applied the fondant in pieces after I molded it ! It's a lot of fondant! But the detail in the molds are fantastic.  I also made a ski hat you can see in my gallery that has a cable knit.  In person you can't tell the difference between a yarn and the fondant.  One of my grandmother's was a fabulous knitter and I would have loved to share this with her!

Laetia Posted 26 Mar 2018 , 9:39pm
post #25 of 34

@kstevens I love your cakes and the cookies are just sooo adorable! Easter egg is amazing! What did you use on the board of the deer cake to make the moss?

@theresaf I love the knit pattern on your first cake! The chocodile wallet looks good too! (Love the name by the way!)

kstevens Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 12:50am
post #26 of 34

@theresaf not sure where you are located but it looks like maybe you got hit with the same snow storm I did.  Love your names for your cakes and they both turned out really well!

@Njewett great job cutting out those silhouettes!  

@Laetia the moss was a happy accident of sorts.  I had some green buttercream in the fridge leftover from the cake I made last weekend.  I had taken it out to come to room temp with the thought of piping grass all around the base of the cake.  I was getting impatient and tried to stir it while it was still pretty cool so I was more scraping it than stirring it.  It ended up kinda textured looking and reminded me of moss so I went with it.  I just kept scraping bits of it from the container and placing it on the board.

Laetia Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 10:59am
post #27 of 34

@kstevens wow, I never would have guess! What a happy incident! Thanks for the answer.

theresaf Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 1:38pm
post #28 of 34

Thanks @kstevens and @Laetia - naming some of my work is part of the fun for me (I started out in advertising - can you tell?)

And anyone who lives on the East Coast of the US feels my never-ending storm pain!  I live on Long Island in NY - where it's beautiful when it's beautiful and miserable when it's miserable!

T

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 5:26pm
post #29 of 34

kstevens your work is always sooo wonderful.  I especially think the deer cake turned out so perfect!  And since I did many eggs over the years - mostly sugar peek-in - Your Easter contributions are lovely.  I immeadately reconized the flowers as being wafer paper. 

Njewett Posted 27 Mar 2018 , 10:35pm
post #30 of 34

marian64- Thank you for the complement. 

theresaf- Your cakes lot amazing and so real.  I love the knit pattern on the hat cake. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%