Help!! How Do I Do The Gold On This Cake?

Decorating By CeejSweets Updated 20 Mar 2018 , 9:28pm by cakefan92

CeejSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeejSweets Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 9

Help!  A customer wants a cake like this and I’m not sure about the top tier. Is the cake covered in gold sprinkles or something else?  If gold sprinkles, where do I purchase them? If not gold sprinkles, how do I make the cake to look like it? 

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!  Help!! How Do I Do The Gold On This Cake?

8 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 9

I can't really see it that well, but when I did one for my daughter, I bought the multi color confetti sprinkles and some Wilton Gold spray in a can. I put the sprinkles on a cookie sheet, and sprayed them. I waited until the were dried, flipped them, and did the other side. I'm sure there is an easier way, but it worked all the same. 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 9

I would say it is covered in gold sprinkles.  You could use these...http://evilcakegenius.com/index.php/sprinkles-sequins-gold.html.  (Wilton also sells them and probably a dozen other bakery supply stores/sites).  And then to get a shinier look you could use gold luster dust mixed with some vodka and paint over the sprinkles.  I would also suggest tinting the buttercream a similar color to the sequins so that if there are any spots that aren't covered completely you won't notice it.

Then there are these...https://www.fancysprinkles.com/collections/metallic-dragees/products/silver-dragees-4mm.  But there is some controversies surrounding dragees and if they are safe to eat.  I know that California has banned the sale of silver dragees due to silver being toxic so there is that (but in my opinion one would have to eat a crap ton of dragees for it to have any harmful effect, and one would probably have more of a chance of cracking a tooth then dying from silver poisoning...but that is just me).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 9

Freckles0829:   silver and gold and probably other matalic items - any form, dust, paint, dragees etc - are what are refered to as 'heavy metals'.  The body does not eleminate them in any way, shape or form so over years it aqumalates (sorry about my poor spelling) and can cause many health problems, even death in some.  That is why they were banned in CA many years ago.  That also applies to plastic (disco dusts!) - especially gold and silver now there is a double whamy!

Freckles0829 Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 9

kakeladi - Yup, I know that and that is why I mentioned why there is controversies in using them on a cake.  And I realize the body will never eliminate the metal but I am also of the mind set eating a few of these things is not going to do any long term damage.  Just like how a news story just came out saying that there are tiny plastic particles in the water that is put into water bottles.  I am still going to drink bottled water and I am still going to eat a cupcake with some silver or gold sprinkles or something that was dusted with luster dust.  Because in my mind, I probably have more of a chance of getting hit by a bus then having a problem with the accumulation of heavy metals in my body from eating a decorated cake or cookie.  People have to weigh out the risks for themselves and for me, this is a low risk.  

Freckles0829 Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 9

And also why I provided two options to get the look so that if the OP weighs the risk differently than me, then she has a second option which would still look equally amazing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 9

........ of the mind set eating a few of these things is not going to do any long term damage.....

Yes, and 'dirty' food prep - like worms in tomatoes, horrible meat processing plants etc.  We must take these things in mind, but for me mostly I prefere for ignorae.....as so many say, ignorance is bliss'.

CeejSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeejSweets Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 9

Wow!  Thanks so much for all of your replies! 

@ypierce82 thanks so much for the great idea of using the gold mist spray! 

@freckles0829 Thank you for your reply and the links!  I will check them out!  

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 9

I saw some of these (gold sequin sprinkles) at Hobby Lobby just a couple of days ago.  They weren't terribly shiny or sparkly, but they would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%