Timing Of Wedding Cake Assembly - Take 2!

Decorating By Mieks84 Updated 19 Mar 2018 , 5:38pm by kakeladi

Mieks84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mieks84 Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 4:35am
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

Sorry i had another thread but i'm having trouble posting updates/replies to the lovely people that were helping me - k8memphis and kakeladi so i have had to make another conversation.

My original question was about timing cake decoration and assembly for a 3 tiered carrot cake with cream cheese frosting - 11" 9 " 7 ". Concerns raised were for the safety of the cake if decorated prior to the wedding (from wandering hands and/or critters) and the cream cheese icing melting.

Clarification:

• I have checked and the cool room that i will be using is a walk in cool room and apparently very big so i'll have a lot of space for storage.
  • The bride said we will be the only ones with access to the venue from the Friday onwards (for a wedding on sat evening) so there shouldn't be any people accessing the cool room. 

Questions:

• So now that i know there shouldn't be any people near my cake at the venue - can i fill, ice, insert dowels and stack cakes on the fri then just insert flowers on the wedding day? Or is it better to fill, ice and insert dowling on the Friday and stack the layers on the Sat?
  • Also, if i don't need to transfer the cake to the venue, do i need to put a large centre dowel in?

Thank you!

2 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 3

Well Miek84 that’s certainly good news. I don’t see why you can’t fill, ice, and stack on the Friday and place the cake in the cooler. Then attach flowers on Saturday. I have used flower picks, putting my wrapped flower stems into them.  I would still put in dowels and centre dowel just for safety and piece of mind. That being said, how heavy will the fully stacked cake be?? You will have to lift that stacked cake onto display table. If you’re confident in lifting the stacked 3 tier on the Saturday morning, fine. If not, stack and add flowers while on the display table Saturday morning. Hope this helps you.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 3

I agree w/jchuck.  That sized cake should not be all that heavy:)  I have lifted 16, 14, 10" stacked tiers over a foundtain -- Now that is HEAVY and awckword for sure!    I would complete the cake on Fri with those circumstances.   

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%