Friday Night Cake Club For 3/16/18

Decorating By kstevens Updated 20 Mar 2018 , 1:38am by gscout73

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 12:22am
post #1 of 27

Opening up another session of FNCC!  Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Busy night for me getting cakes baked for a day of decorating tomorrow.  I'm spending tomorrow with my niece and one of her friends showing them how to level, stack and decorate a cake.  They are only 11 and I love that they have an interest in baking/decorating. I would have done the baking with them too but it saves a lot of time by having the cakes already baked.  I'll post pictures tomorrow once I get back home along with the simple St. Patrick's Day one I made for today.

Looking forward to seeing what you've all been up to!

Kelly

26 replies
lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 3:40am
post #2 of 27

Hi Kelly....

I am pretty new here, but I have Always been fascinated with baking and decorating cakes.  I can remember from about 45 years ago, standing a a Huge window, at the local bakery, watching the women inside decorating cakes! It was a favorite past time of mine.  And I have played around with baking ever since.  With the advent of all the baking shows on TV now....Oh my!  I can watch any time I want.

Flash forward to now.....This week, I baked, leveled, filled, and have crumb coated my FIRST Real cake! I made pastry cream, a buttercream frosting, and lastly a chocolate buttercream (which I am not too happy with). I want the chocolate to be chocolatier, darker, and smoother for decorating.

So, I need some help.......Please....... Can I add melted Dark Chocolate chips to make it look darker?  Sandra said I could add Milk, cream, or even water to thin it out.....which would be best?  I would really like to finish this cake so I can have some of it, and also share it with my neighbors.

Can you, or anybody out there, help me?

Thanks!

Christie

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 3:59am
post #3 of 27

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 4:01am
post #4 of 27

St Patrick's Day themed birthday cake. Tried to make the top tier look like a leprechaun hat , and put a pot of gold with shamrock around the entire bottom tier. Turned out super cute! 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 7:48am
post #5 of 27

I feel milk makes buttercream creamier than water. I've even added half a tub of store bought fudge icing to my standard vanilla buttercream recipe for my daughter's cake before (read that on CC somewhere last year) and I think that was one of my fav choc buttercreams so far.

I know you can make white chocolate buttercream , so I'm sure a dark chocolate would be very similar. YouTube white chocolate buttercream (I believe I've seen one by Rosie Cake Diva recently) and see if that may be the trick you need. Just use dark chocolate instead??

These ladies have been caking several years longer than me, so I'm sure you will get some great responses!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 27

@kstevens I cant wait to see your creation! It is so fun baking and decorating cakes with kids. 

@GIGGLEBOX2014 very nice looking St-Patrick's cake! Your buttercream is so perfectly smooth...

@Ivdenver you sure can add melted chocolate in your buttercream. Just make sure you let it cool down a bit before pooring it in the buttercream. This way it will not melt the butter in the buttercream. I find that using melted chocolate result in a more rich (fudge like) buttercream.

I usualy thin my icing with cream, I find the buttercream a little more fluffy this way. But realy, you can use whatever you have on hand. It does'nt make that much of a difference. 

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 27

my second attempt at a unicorn cake. I really wish i make the buttercream swirls a little taller. I also made the mistake of waiting to put my horn and ears on after I chilled the cake. They really looked like they were sitting on top of the frosting rather then part of the unicorn.  I was really happy how the cupcakes turned out. I took jchuck's advice and made my icing pretty stiff- good for the application, bad for my forearms. 

Friday Night Cake Club For 3/16/18Friday Night Cake Club For 3/16/18

thecanadian160 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 27

my second attempt at a unicorn cake. I really wish i make the buttercream swirls a little taller. I also made the mistake of waiting to put my horn and ears on after I chilled the cake. They really looked like they were sitting on top of the frosting rather then part of the unicorn.  I was really happy how the cupcakes turned out. I took jchuck's advice and made my icing pretty stiff- good for the application, bad for my forearms. 

kstevens Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 27

@Ivdenver I'm no pro but in my opinion a good cocoa is key for a chocolaty chocolate buttercream.  I'm not sure where you are located but here in Nova Scotia (Canada) I find the cocoa at Costco to be really good.  The brand is Rodelle Organics.  My chocolate buttercream is 3 cups icing sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, 2 tsp vanilla and and around 4 tbsp whipping cream.  I add more or less whipping cream depending on how thick I want it. I prefer whiping cream over milk or water mtself.  I have added melted (and cooled) chocolate to buttercream before but don't recall amounts.

@GIGGLEBOX your cake looks great! Really like your shade of green ☺

@thecanadian160 super cute unicorn cake and cupcakes!  

I used St. Patrick's Day as an excuse to try out a new cake recipe to take to work yesterday, Baileys and Guinness cake.  By the recipe, there should have been extra buttercream to pipe swirls around the top of it to finish it off.   I guess I used too much in between the cake layers though as I didn't have enough left to do them so I made some simple decorations to top it instead.

Today was my decorating day with my niece and her friend (both 11).  So much fun and they did awesome!  They were very excited when I arrived and especially excited when they saw all the cake and how we were going to decorate them.  I showed them how to level their cakes, stack and crumb coat them, color icing for an ombre effect, texture the butercream and make wafer paper flowers.  They both really enjoyed decorating their cakes and I got a big hug from both of them before I left ☺.  They did everything on their own so what you see in the picture is all their own work. I was so focussed on getting good pictures of their cakes and them with their cakes that I forgot to take some of just mine. Lol  Mine was boxed up and delivered to a friend so no chance for pics once I realized I didn't have any good ones. My cake is the green one by the way.

kstevens Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 11:50pm
post #10 of 27

kstevens Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 27

kstevens Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 27

I wasn't paying close enough attention to my own cake so what should have been the back of the cake ended up being facing forward in the photos.  DOH!! 

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 12:54am
post #13 of 27

Friday Night Cake Club For 3/16/18I made this one for a friend 

Laetia Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 1:31am
post #14 of 27

@thecanadian160 your unicorn cake is adorable, and the cupcakes are just too cute. Perfect match.

@kstevens Wow I cant believe those cake were made by two 11 years old! You sure are a real good teacher and they seriously have talent at decorating cakes! Congratulate them on my behalf ! 

Laetia Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 1:35am
post #15 of 27

@WYbee cute cake! I'm sure the birthday girl was realy happy

Anneliese671 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anneliese671 Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 6:16am
post #16 of 27

Prepped this cake over the last several days and completed it yesterday. The customer was someone I didn't know. She wanted a cake that looked like her original wedding cake and supplied her cake topper from 20 years ago for the top of the cake. She paid me. She wanted her beagle dog peeking out from the cake and also miniatures of her stuffed animals. I learnt a lot and I wanted to share: just because it's a small cake doesn't mean it will take a lot less time. To be careful to thoroughly cook deeper cakes (the 6" was 3" deep and i felt could have been dryer in the middle...it was cooked but the outside had more firmness to it). Really understand how important each element of the decorations are to your customer (the beagle was super important, and she made so many tiny changes that I even broke his ear). Don't send photos as cakes are being made unless you are prepared for changes (I sent a pic of the beagle...she said that she would send another photo for me to work with, as the one she had sent had too much sunlight on the beagle and he had a darker head). Add $$ for every single 3d character even if you think it'll only take you 10 mins. Buy cutters for everything (I got flower cutters from a sushi decorating kit from the $1.50 store for the flowers on both tiers and they saved me a ton of time). And also....people are very unique. It is hard for me to understand a wedding cake with a beagle and stuffed animals, but there you go. I'm not sure if I want to get into this business except for friends and family. This was a test for me to see what it was like dealing with someone who didn't know me and could say anything really without worrying about me getting hurt feelings. She wasn't mean or anything: she just seemed to be unusual with her requests, added additional requests after we'd struck a price, excessively fussy and expecting a beagle that looked real, and all in all I didn't enjoy it, which is the point of all the time put in, right?Friday Night Cake Club For 3/16/18Friday Night Cake Club For 3/16/18Friday Night Cake Club For 3/16/18

Anneliese671 Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 6:21am
post #17 of 27

Your Olaf is adorable! He must have taken some time.

Quote by @WYBee on 5 hours ago

Friday Night Cake Club For 3/16/18I made this one for a friend 

Anneliese671 Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 6:28am
post #18 of 27

What a gorgeous cake. I'd love to know how you did the ears, horn, and the flowers on the cake board...are they from a cutter? How did you do the lettering Delilah? The cupcakes look great...what a difference the cupcake liner design makes to the overall appearance...they look very upscale.

Quote by @thecanadian160 on 11 hours ago

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 9:36am
post #19 of 27

My project was for a very close friend whose birthday is also St. Patrick's Day. I had a bad headache so I got a late start and was running behind, and did not get to do as much as I wanted. But the roses I pre-made saved me. I took it to her work and they did not even cut it because they already had ICE CREAM CAKE!!

Laetia Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 1:24pm
post #20 of 27

@Anneliese671 The dog turned out great! Well done.  

@gscout73 What a shame they did'nt even cut the cake! Roses are beautiful. Hope you're feeling better today.

thecanadian160 Posted 18 Mar 2018 , 1:57pm
post #21 of 27

@WYbee - That Olaf is fantastic! Very, very well done. 

@gscout73- Foiled by the old ice cream cake huh? I think it was their loss, you cake looks wonderful. 

@Annaliese671- Your beagle(?) turned out fantastic, very real looking if you ask me.

To answer your questions: The gumpasete ears were made by using heart shaped cutters.  The lettering is the individual Wilton molds that I bought at Michael's, I covered them in disco glitter. All those flours on the cake board are made by using cutters. Lastly, the horn is pastiage that I rolled out into a rope and wound around a wooden dowel. 

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 4:40am
post #22 of 27

Hi Everyone! How great to come in today and see so many wonderful cakes! And I have to laugh that there is another Unicorn Cake here! I made one today for a friends Garden Birthday Party. She loved it. It was just one part of a whole dessert table. I totally love the Unicorn cake/cupcakes thecanadian160 made! I totally adore the cupcakes! I wish I'd had the time to get fancier with mine but only had 2 hours this morning before the party due to work and St. Patrick's Day dinner....but I'm pretty happy with my first Unicorn cake!

Glad to see everyone is doing so well!

love,

CatFriday Night Cake Club For 3/16/18

kstevens Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 6:46pm
post #23 of 27

@WYbee your Olaf cake is very cute!

@Annaliese671 your cake turned out very nice and I think your figures all look great!  In my opinion it is very hard to model life-like figures and even harder to have them look exactly like a specific person, animal.....  I myself won't even attempt it.

@gscout73  love your roses!  Vert pretty cake and a shame that it wasn't cut.  

@catlharper nice to see you're still caking when you have time!  Your first unicorn cake is very cute.

@Laetia the girls were tickled pink with their cakes as was I.  They are both very crafty and like to bake and cook so they had a real interest in what I was showing them.  I find with kids too that they tend to not over think things and just create.  I made sure to tell them that there was no right or wrong with how their cakes looked, that I was just showing them an idea and they could do with their cakes what they wanted.  

Anneliese671 Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 8:37pm
post #24 of 27

Gscout73 such a pity your cake wasn't cut. It is absolutely stunning. How did you get the little balls around the tier bases so even? I roll fondant into a rope and cut equal parts, but I still struggle to get them the same.

Laetia Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 9:48pm
post #25 of 27

@Anneliese671 if you look on the table, at the base of the cake of @gscout73, you can see the silicone mold she uses for the pearl/bead border. Its a real time saver to use one of those.

Laetia Posted 19 Mar 2018 , 9:58pm
post #26 of 27

@catlharper your unicorn cake is cute. Just the thought of making a complete cake in only 2 hours is enough to make me want to cry. You have all my admiration!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 20 Mar 2018 , 1:38am
post #27 of 27

Quote by @Anneliese671 on 4 hours ago

Gscout73 such a pity your cake wasn't cut. It is absolutely stunning. How did you get the little balls around the tier bases so even? I roll fondant into a rope and cut equal parts, but I still struggle to get them the same.

Thank you!!! the secret is a Silicone pearl mold. They're strings of pearls. The balls are a string of pearls that I cut apart so the balls would be uniform.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%