Sam's Vanilla Whipped Icing / Can I Flavor It?

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 17 Mar 2018 , 1:17pm by mrsmac888

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 12:25am
post #1 of 4

I have a customer that wants Sam's Vanilla Whipped Icing on cupcakes.  She wants to know if it can be flavored, specifically with Bailey's Irish Cream.  I've never used Sam's Vanilla Icing and have no idea if I can use Bailey's to flavor it.  Has anyone ever done this before?  Or anything similar?

Thanks!
Christina

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 1:04am
post #2 of 4

I honestly believe to get enough flavor by using actual Bailey's Irish Cream, your frosting would be much too thin.  Some sort of concentrated flavoring would be required, like extracts, emulsions or powdered flavorings.

mrsmac888 Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 1:10am
post #3 of 4

Thanks Sandra!

That was my first thought too.  I didn't know if the Sam's Icing can be thickened up by whipping it or adding powdered sugar?  I think I'll just make my own whipped topping frosting and then use the Bailey's that way I can control the consistency.

Smiles!
C~

mrsmac888 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 4

Update - for future inquiries

I decided to play around with the Sam's Whipped Icing.  Note, this is not the Buttercream from Sam's, this is the equivalent to Cool-Whip-just much more stable.

You can flavor the Whipped Icing with Bailey's Irish Cream!   I added about 1/4 cup Bailey's to about 4 cups cold Whipped Icing, you can add more or less depending on how much flavor you want.  I mixed in my stand mixer with the paddle attachment for about 30 to 45 seconds on 1.  Then I mixed by hand until fully incorporated.  

If you over mix the whipped icing, it becomes too stiff and almost "dry".  The trick is Don't Over Beat It!  If this happens, I've read here on CC that you just need to mix in more Whipped Icing and it will soften up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%