Center Cake Dowel Down Through Cake Or Put Cake's Onto Dowel

Decorating By Camino56 Updated 12 Mar 2018 , 10:34pm by kakeladi

Camino56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Camino56 Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 2

So I have been trolling this wonderful website for months now. I have gained so much from everyone's wonderful posts. I thought it would be time to have my own question and I'm sure it's probably been asked before but since I can't seem to find it I'm going to ask.  

In a couple weeks I'm making a 3 tier cake 6 9 and 12 in covered in buttercream. It's going to be transported an hour and a half away when some slightly hilly roads. Nothing too extreme. Unfortunately based on the design it needs to be assembled before we leave. My question is do you hammer a center dowel down through the whole cake or do you have the dowel straight up and put the cakes down on the dowel. I've wached many vidoes and I've seen both.

I've stacked a four tieredfondant cake (my preferencr over buttercream!)with plastic , and wooden dowels and doubled cake boards in between layers and it was very sturdy but the idea of transpOrting an assembled cake makes me very nervous!!!

Tips and thoughts??? 

TIA!

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 2

How nice to see youcome out of hiding :)   Of course, transporting a fully stacked cake would make you nervous - You are not alone.   I have devered 1000s & still get nervous just w/the thought of doing so :-)  I prefere to add center dowel after the whole cake is completely decorated.  I make the cneter dowel at least 3"-4" taller than the cake's heigth so it can be easily gotten a hold of to pull it out once it is at the venue.  Depending on the top tier decorations any hole the dowel leaves can be covered - filled w/b'cream; a leaf if flowers or just the cake topper.  When removing the center dowel don't just pull it straight up but twist the stick as it is pulled up.

That is a small cake ;)   I suggest making a 14-15" base of thick wood or some such to put it on. Use double stick tape to anchor the cake base to the larger base.   The larger the base the less chance of it tipping over in transport:)  (Once you are at the venue take that base off.)   You might also consider getting a shipping box at least 14" wide to put the cake in and seal it up.  That would also help in transport should there be any problems.   Believe me I have delivered many bigger cakes farther than that and have had only had a couple 'disasters'. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%