In Need Of A New Turntable - Recommendations?

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 17 Mar 2018 , 5:50pm by Laetia

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 24

I'm in need of a new turntable.   Which one do you use?  Love it / hate it?  

Thanks!
Christina

23 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 24
kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 1:11am
post #3 of 24

I have the one with the aluminum base in the link K8 posted. 

I started out with the Wilton one in the link below because it was affordable.   At the time I wasn't sure how long I'd be doing cakes.  Over time and much use, the bearings have started to go a bit but I realky like that it has a brake that you can use to keep it still when you don't want it spinning.

https://www.amazon.ca/Wilton-307-301-Trim-N-Turn-Ultra-Rotating/dp/B0016BPTSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520816667&sr=8-1&keywords=wilton+turntable&dpID=31bXMzCilZL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

My boyfriend bought me the Ateco one for Christmas and I really like it.  It spins very smoothly but I do miss the ability to keep it from turning like I could with the Wilton one. I also like the height of it but another downside of it is that my turntable expander does not fit on it.  Whenever I have a big cake to do that requires the turntable expander, I break out the oldie but still goodie, Wilton one.

Hope that helps ☺

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 5:46am
post #4 of 24

I use a large glass lazy susan, it works very well.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 6:11am
post #5 of 24

I like the one from Innovative Sugar works. Spins smoothly, non slip bottom, has a lock to stop rotation. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 24

I have the Ateco, my first turntable, and it will be my last.  It is wonderful and there is nothing to wear out.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 24

if I need to do a full or half sheet I put that size pan on the turntable upside down -- place the cake on top of that and carefully turn it -- I also stand on a step to reach better --

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 24

-K8memphis, I just love you and kakeladi!  I've learned soooo much from the two of you in the past year!  BRILLIANT to put a large cake pan on top of your turntable!  You just save me a bunch of money!  I'll use my 16" round pan instead of investing in a turntable.  It won't go in my oven anyway and at least I'll get some use out of it.  THANKS!!

-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 24

you are so sweet -- thank you! 

half the time I tell myself -- don't post that, kate, nobody wants to know that -- ha! cool -- thankyou

and yes lynne is a world of cake wisdom

-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 24

just as you go -- make sure it stays centered

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 24

I use a wooden lazy susan I got at Ikea - I watch a lot of videos and it looks like a lot of other people use the same one!

and I also buy those $1rolls of cabinet liner (the sticky rubber kind) and cut a small piece to go between the turntable and the cake board and sometimes even between the counter and the turntable  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 24

Both the large wooden lazy susan and the regular Ateco/Fat Daddy turntables are very useful.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 24

I also use the non slip shelf liner. I always place a piece under the cake board when I ice the cakes, it also gives me a tiny gap underneath to slide my spatula into to lift the cake from the turn table.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 24

I also as theresaf use the large wooden turntable from Ikea. I also have the tilting, locking turntable from Wilton, plus three 8” glass turntables that I got from my local dollar store. Those little glass turntables work great. And I also do what K8memphis does, turn a larger cake pan upside down on my turntable for bigger cakes. And ditto the advice from bubs1stbirthday about the shelf liner..

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Mar 2018 , 1:23am
post #15 of 24

I use the no skid shelf liner for everything!  Got a piece under my keyboard right now, lol.  

Yes, -K8memphis, I would stick the pan to the turntable so it stayed put, probably with two sided tape.  I think that is to coolest tip I've had in years!

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 8:40pm
post #17 of 24

That looks like the one I have - you'd think with a name like that I would remember lol!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 8:57pm
post #18 of 24

I've seen that turntable there -- it's beautiful

jchuck Posted 16 Mar 2018 , 9:09pm
post #19 of 24

Yes, that is the turntable from Ikea that I have. I would have never remembered the name!!! And for $15 + tax, you can't beat it!!!

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 1:45am
post #20 of 24

I have a few but I love my $20 Ikea marble lazy suzan the best.  It's solid and smooth, both the movement and the surface.    

jchuck Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 1:11pm
post #21 of 24

I haven’t seen the marble covered turntable in years and years. At least not here in Canada.   I would have bought the marble covered turntable when it was available!!! 

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 1:20pm
post #22 of 24

You ladies are awesome!  Thank you for all the recommendations!  

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!

Christina  

jchuck Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 1:26pm
post #23 of 24

Your welcome Christina..

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 5:50pm
post #24 of 24

I also use the wooden lazy susan from Ikea. It's the one and only turn table I've used, and I'm satisfied with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%