Friday Night Cake Club For 3/9/18

Decorating By kstevens Updated 12 Mar 2018 , 12:28am by GIGGLEBOX2014

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 9 Mar 2018 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 23

Opening up another session of FNCC!  Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

No cakes for me this week but lots of planning for some busy weeks ahead!  Looking forward to seeing what everyone else has been up to!

22 replies
B.E.Sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 12:52am
post #2 of 23

I am working on an engagement party order for tomorrow. 360 mini cupcakes in six flavors, 5 naked cakes, 48 salted caramel brownie bites and 2 dozen chocolate covered strawberries. It’s going on be a long night. 

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 1:24am
post #3 of 23

Wow, B.E.Sweetcakes....you are definitely going to be busy!!!

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 2:53am
post #4 of 23

Did two cakes this week. I finished the mermaid cake this morning.

Friday Night Cake Club For 3/9/18Friday Night Cake Club For 3/9/18

B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 2:55am
post #5 of 23

I am struggling with these naked cakes. Any advice or tips on how to actually frost them where they look right?

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 3:11am
post #6 of 23

I cant help you there Sweetcakes, the few that I have attempted have looked a bit wonky. 

Also, it appears that for some reason that last picture I posted came out grainy. Just to be clear, everyone needs to stand back at least 10 feet when viewing that post.

B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 4:39am
post #7 of 23

Love your cakes thecanadian160! 

I finished 4 of the 5 naked cakes. They are decent I think. I kept adding frosting and then taking more off. I finally had to just walk away. I hope it’s how she envisioned it in her head. 

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 23

@B.E.Sweetcakes that is a huge amount of work!  Can't wait to see the finished work.  I'm no expert but for the naked cakes, I've only ever done semi-naked ones and for those I just crumb coated and then used a bench scraper to smooth and pull most of the icing off.  You end up with just a very thin layer of icing and the cake mostly showing through.  Not sure if that is what you are going for or not.

@thecanadian160 both your cakes look great! Those scissors look real!  Too bad the mermaid photo is grainy.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 23

b e sweetcakes -- naked cakes look best when they have some kind of piping on them -- for example -- I was looking at martha stewart's site because she had a lovely one in her magazine that had little scrollies around the edges -- but even just a plain bead of icing to fluff up the filling -- like with a coupler and no tip --

for inspiration:

https://www.marthastewartweddings.com/356241/naked-cakes?slide=830155

-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 23

B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 23

I ended up going with more of the semi naked cake look. I have them boxed up and forgot to take pictures... I’m hoping I can get some good pictures at the party. I am done with everything, about to go get cleaned up and ready. 

Does anyone else ever get super nervous and critical of your self right before you have to deliver your cakes? I am of course second guessing everything I did now that it’s almost time to go. 

-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 8:01pm
post #12 of 23

that cake in post #10 is from momofuku milkbar and is a great example of a ton of work that the sum total needs a nice coating of icing -- i'm not a fan of this type of naked cake work -- some kind of piping I think would help to bring some cohesion to this mountain of delectable goodness -- 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 23

@B.E.Sweetcakes this is a lot of sweets! Can't wait to see the final result.

@thecanadian160 both your cake are beautiful. The mermaid one is my favorite. I live those colors.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 8:03pm
post #14 of 23

oh whoops -- i'm too late -- i feel very strongly about naked cakes -- some of them are a flat abomination blush or maybe more a tiered abomination stuck_out_tongue

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Mar 2018 , 8:38pm
post #15 of 23

I find it rather interesting that the naked cake idea is so very popular.  Many years ago (probably back in the early 1990s?)  I was teaching Wilton at a Michael's and one of my male students brought in a cake like that as his 'to decorate' project for that week.  I almost choked and told him that was a crumb coat and the cake needed a final coat of icing.  He said the family didn't like that much icing :-)

B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 1:56am
post #16 of 23

Finished the party! It went really well, Lots of compliments, and the clients were pleased :) Friday Night Cake Club For 3/9/18Friday Night Cake Club For 3/9/18Friday Night Cake Club For 3/9/18

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 3:18am
post #17 of 23

B.E.Sweetcakes Wow, what a gorgeous desert table! So much sweets, everything look delicious. The main cake is very beautiful. Job well done, you must be exausted!

B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 3:48am
post #18 of 23

Thank you Laetia! Yes I am worn out! It was the largest order I’ve done but now that it seems over I wish I could do more of them. Fingers crossed for future orders :)

-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 2:51pm
post #19 of 23

b e sc clap wow so cool! what a delicious lovely luscious inviting spread -- you had over 300 minis right? did you just replenish your trays? that's not all of them in the pic? the chocolate iced cake looks dressed rather than naked -- was it just cause it was choc on choc? I love the fullness of the naked cakes -- and I love that stand the pink one is on -- what's the story behind that? it looks like the top of an old column upside down --

omg -- just think of how many times you touched those 360 minis -- thousands I guess >thud< I fainted 

B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 3:11pm
post #20 of 23

Yes k8memphis I had 360 mini cupcakes. There was only room for about 15 of each flavor to be displayed so I was refilling them pretty much the whole time I was there :) it was exhausting but fun too. The chocolate iced cake was a little more covered than I intended. I wasn’t really thinking about the fact that the chocolate icing wouldn’t scrape off as much as the lighter colored frostings would. 

The cake stands she provided, I believe she got them from Hobby Lobby. It was made to look like a piece of a column but it was just a decorative item. I thought it all went over well. Lots of people took business cards so I’m hoping for some future orders. And before I left she said she wanted to get together soon to discuss her wedding cake! 

-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2018 , 3:19pm
post #21 of 23

oh gosh -- that was a masterpiece -- you did great -- my arms hurt for you hahahaha

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 12:21am
post #22 of 23

Friday Night Cake Club For 3/9/18

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 12 Mar 2018 , 12:28am
post #23 of 23

A cake I did Friday. They wanted a camera topper with bright fun colors, and this is what I came up with. I used tons of fondant which is definitely not my norm, so I felt out of my comfort zone for sure. I did a double barrel on bottom (2- 8 inch tiers) with a 6 inch tier on top. It was tall! I don't feel it was my best work, but I did what I could in the time I had. They loved it, which is all that matters. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%