Pearls Or Royal Icing?

Decorating By amybaez86 Updated 8 Mar 2018 , 4:38am by SandraSmiley

amybaez86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amybaez86 Posted 7 Mar 2018 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 12

Good Morning!

I have an order for this cake, but the colors will be lilac fondant with gold "sprinkles/sparkles/pearls" not really sure what is on that cake.

Looks like piped royal icing? Do you recommend I use royal icing and paint each dot gold? Or are these pearls/dragees?

Also, how do you get your fondant to stay lilac and not fade?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Pearls Or Royal Icing?.

11 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 7 Mar 2018 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 12

If you add a couple of teaspoons of baking soda  to your fondant once you have achieved your lilac colour, this will prevent you colour from fading. Baking soda will not affect the taste. This might be royal icing dots, but to apply and then paint all those dots would be very tricky and labour intensive. I would probably colour my royal icing gold, and then pipe the dots on the cake. Or make gold fondant and cut out circles using my piping tip and apply to the cake.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Mar 2018 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 12

You can buy sugar pearls in gold, but they look more like muddy brown to me.  If you are comfortable piping, I would suggest coloring your RI as gold as possible, piping the dots, let them dry thoroughly, the touch up with a nice gold dust mixed with alcohol.

amybaez86 Posted 7 Mar 2018 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you jchuck and SandraSmiley!

I appreciate the help :-)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2018 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 12

put gum arabic in your royal icing and get it the right consistency and in one squeeze of the piping bag -- you get a fully rounded pearl shape with no tail hanging off to deal with-- and when dry it will shine beautifully -- it's a wonderful thing

-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2018 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 12

to get it to the right consistency -- take a cup or so of royal icing and add water -- pipe it on the side of a pan -- add water or more icing to get it to perform properly 

amybaez86 Posted 7 Mar 2018 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you K8memphis! 

-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2018 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 12

blush

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 1:03am
post #9 of 12

-K8memphis, what is Gum Arabic?  What does it do and where do you buy it?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 1:18am
post #10 of 12

Sandra:

Gum arabic, also known as acacia gum, is a natural gum consisting of the hardened sap of various species of the acacia tree. ... It is edible. It is a natural thickening agent. It is used as one of the ingredients to make gum glue, and gumpaste. 

As for where can you buy

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gum-Arabic/121201224

-K8memphis Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 3:07am
post #11 of 12

yes -- but you can just get a little bottle and it's just a few dollars -- and it's what edible flake glitter is made from -- it makes the pearls shiney --

https://www.amazon.com/CK-Products-Gum-Arabic-Ounce/dp/B00BYIU246/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1520478326&sr=8-3&keywords=Gum+Arabic&dpID=41Cz7qNRZNL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Mar 2018 , 4:38am
post #12 of 12

Thank you, June and -K8memphis!  I've heard of it, even looked it up on Wikipedia, but had no idea what it was used for.  Seems like it's used for pretty much everything, not just cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%