Should I Say Yes To Doing This Cake And How?

Decorating By louglou Updated 2 Mar 2018 , 6:46pm by louglou

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 6

I work in the grounds of this building. It’s all converted to offices but it’s a listed building and very grand.Should I Say Yes To Doing This Cake And How?

Its being renovated at the moment and I’ve been asked if I could make a cake to celebrate it being finished. I’m only a very amateur cake maker and the thought of doing it is a bit overwhelming. 

I need to decide whether to do it and how much to charge. And I need to work out how to do it and whether it is worth my sanity. I work part time but am a single parent so squeeze cake decorating in round my job and kids. I love a challenge but wonder if this might be a step too far. 

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 6

I have already responded to this post somewhere.

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 2 Mar 2018 , 1:34am
post #3 of 6

I would go for it, but then I tend to have less caution than I should when agreeing to trying new things with cake.

If I were making it, I would make the walls in sections with modeling chocolate. Maybe gelatin for the windows. Ideally you could make the windows out of sugar, but that would be much more difficult.  I would make the roof out of rkt and cover with modeling chocolate or fondant. Don't forget to support it.

Then I would hope the above plan actually worked.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2018 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 6

this is a ton of precise work -- which means the degree of difficulty is even greater than a regular cake -- y'know -- you need to be kind to yourself -- like do something pretty with the colors and the scrolly ornate thing up in the top section there -- don't do this whole building unless you have the experience, the time, money and nerves for it -- be nice to louglou -- just say no is my advice

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2018 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 6

just off top of my head -- i'd charge $2,000 and surely regret not charging more --

a dozen dormers and chimneys -- dozens of multi paned windows, maybe 40 or more -- plus two dozen lower basement windows -- more than ten colonnades -- the froo froo for the top of the colonnades -- the roofy ledge being held up by the colonnades -- the fence stuff up around the roof -- the big triangle piece on top of the front with the big filigree-ish décor and the roof for that -- the two different décors above the first floor windows and the fence like décor at the bottom of each -- the double door, columns, statues on either side, the steps, the banisters -- all the stuff at the top of the door , the windows in the door -- the brick around the basement level -- the roof where the dormers are -- you need to be good with mitering and fitting this together like a craftsman --

and all that before you make the board and bake the cake, -- if you have months and can organize and divide up your time -- make extra everything -- 

$2,500 -- more for larger than 60 servings

(I would help) (but don't do it)

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 2 Mar 2018 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. (Sorry - SandraSmiley, I forgot to reply to you on my other thread).

K8Memphis - as ever, you are the voice of reason. I think I needed to hear it broken down like that. I'm going to turn it down. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%