Decorated Cake Seems So Heavy

Decorating By Jackart59 Updated 21 Feb 2018 , 9:30pm by kakeladi

Jackart59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackart59 Posted 21 Feb 2018 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm a decorating newbie here, I did a cake yesterday, 2 9 inch rounds stacked. I had a layer of raspberry filling on bottom layer and buttercream on second layer. I did a thin covering of fondant over the cake plus a small fondant tree and small gumpaste flowers. This cake is soooo heavy to lift and I'm not understanding why? There is not a lot of anything on it really but it must weigh at least 5 pounds??? what the heck did I do wrong??Decorated Cake Seems So Heavy

3 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 21 Feb 2018 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 4

You didn't do anything wrong. Cakes get heavy after filling, buttercream, fondant, plus the boards. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Feb 2018 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 4

LOL - as ypierce82 said, you didn't do anything wrong.  If you consider the weight of each component by itself, the cake, the buttercream, the filling, the boards and the fondant (especially the fondant), you have a considerable weight.  When you put it all together in a small (9"), compact area, it makes a pretty hefty package.  Just wait until you make a three tiered monster!  My husband does a lot of my transporting because I cannot carry them, literally.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2018 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 4

nice, nice cake :)   As the others said.   It also can depend on the cake recipe used.  Some are heavier than others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%