French Macaron Flavouring

Baking By PoukieBear Updated 24 Feb 2018 , 3:14am by rychevamp

PoukieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoukieBear Posted 20 Feb 2018 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 3

I tried my hand at making French Macarons this weekend.  My first attempt was both a success and a failure. lol.  I put two trays in the oven at the same time.  Needless to say, the bottom tray was the disaster (too close to the element and they burned) and the top tray turned out just OK....  Ugly, but edible.

My second attempt yesterday was amazing!  I followed Martha Stewart's recipe and had no issues.

My question now is how do I expand my flavour repertoire?  I only used vanilla in these ones, and the filling was a simple stabalized whipped cream.  (I added food colouring to make everything look pretty)  

From what I've read on Pinterest, most flavoured macarons have the flavouring in the filling, rather than in the cookie it'self.  I assume that's so the cookie actually turns out perfectly?  Am I limited to only flavouring the filling?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24woSxT][/url]

2 replies
Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 24 Feb 2018 , 12:41am
post #2 of 3

My friend made macarons for her niece's bridal shower. She took her regular buttercream and added finely chopped pistachios. Delish!!! Chocolate ganache is good. Add strawberry to you buttercream. And yes, I also read that you add the flavor to the filling. mainly so the cookie turns out!!

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 24 Feb 2018 , 3:14am
post #3 of 3

You can change the nut flour to get different flavors. I've used pistachio, hazelnut, pecan and peanut.  I've always just subbed 100%, but you can also do 50/50 with almond flour.  I would make sure you have the method down before changing things too much. I've had good luck with it, but I've heard some don't.  That's why the 50/50 might work best to start.  

You can add cocoa powder, espresso powder and dried fruit powders as well.  Ground dried lavender and citrus zest too.  I put these type things in the food processor with the nut flour and confectioners sugar when I grind them together.

And anything you can flavor your filling with. Any flavor of buttercream, ganache, jam, caramel, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%