Lego Cake With Oreo Studs Covered In Fondant Help Please!

Decorating By Skiing_Snowball Updated 20 Feb 2018 , 2:27pm by -K8memphis

Skiing_Snowball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skiing_Snowball Posted 20 Feb 2018 , 1:04am
post #1 of 5

Hi cake experts,

I'm planning my daughter's birthday cake as a Lego block with Oreos for the studs. I've never used fondant before but after the buttercream crumb coat, in what order should I proceed? Would you recommend that I drape the fondant over the smooth cake surface, then add the fondant covered Oreos on top? Or could I stick the Oreos on the buttercream and coat everything in fondant in one go? Thanks for your advice!

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Feb 2018 , 4:16am
post #2 of 5

It will probably be tricky, but I would cover everything at once, or try anyway.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 20 Feb 2018 , 4:45am
post #3 of 5

I made a LEGO block cake and I cover the Oreos with the same color of candy melts. Surprisingly the colors were a perfect match. If you want I will see if I can find the picture.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 20 Feb 2018 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 5

If you try to cover everything at once make sure to frost the oreos to make them one with the cake.  Just sticking uncovered oreos on top of a buttercreamed cake and then trying to cover it all in fondant sounds like a disaster in the making.  So buttercream everything, put in the fridge to chill and then cover in fondant.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Feb 2018 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 5

I think they will be more well defined if you do it separate but I don't know exactly what you are planning either

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%