Gumpaste Sugar Paste Flowers, Does Edible Spray Glaze Keep Finished Flowers From Wilting?

Decorating By MBalaska Updated 19 Feb 2018 , 11:09pm by SandraSmiley

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Feb 2018 , 4:57am
post #1 of 23

Now that I'm living in hot & humid Florida I need to learn how to deal with the humidity.  Does edible spray glaze keep finished gumpaste flowers from wilting?

22 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Feb 2018 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 23

I don't know if the glaze would help protect gum paste from heat and humidity or not.  I live in Tennessee and it is dang near as hot and humid as Florida.  I have found that Nicholas Lodge's gum paste recipe holds up much better than commercial brands.  If you know the flowers will be exposed (without air-conditioning) for a while, leave your petals a little thicker than you ordinarily would and thin only the very edges.  It makes them more sturdy and less likely to break when putting on the cake, too.

Here is the link to the recipe and instructions.

MBalaska Posted 15 Feb 2018 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 23

Thanks SandraSmiley, I like Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe.   I used it on the sunflowers that I made from his Craftsy class. That's a nice tutorial that you posted.  Dealing with high humidity is just going to have to be a learning experience, as it's not even summer yet LOL.

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Feb 2018 , 2:24am
post #4 of 23

Mbalaska, I have experienced no problems as long as the gum paste flowers are in the airconditioned house.  I did have some stored upstairs with out airconditioning and the heat wilted them a little, but it was really hot.

MBalaska Posted 16 Feb 2018 , 3:09am
post #5 of 23

That's very encouraging news.  Since the winters here are actually hotter than the summers in Alaska, I've had the air conditioner on all winter. lol 

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Feb 2018 , 3:22am
post #6 of 23

How on earth did you manage to go from our coldest state to our hottest!  You are going to crook this summer!

MBalaska Posted 16 Feb 2018 , 5:14am
post #7 of 23

It's either serendipity or stupidity, we'll know by next winter.   Seriously it's the bugs that will make me move back to the west coast.  or if my gumpaste flowers won't dry lol.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 16 Feb 2018 , 11:34am
post #8 of 23

So do we now call you MBflorida!!!?? It has been so humid here over the last couple of days you can feel the sweat running down you body while standing still and not doing any activity at all, the relief when autumn finally comes and the humidity finally goes ahhhh.

SandraSmiley Posted 16 Feb 2018 , 4:06pm
post #9 of 23

MBalaska, I meant to say "cook" this summer, not crook!  Sorry!

MBalaska Posted 16 Feb 2018 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 23

810whitechoc, it just doesn't have the same sound does it, besides I may go back if I can't stand the heat !!

SandraSmiley, I didn't' even notice the spelling, it must be the heat cooking my brain already ha.

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Feb 2018 , 1:23am
post #11 of 23

Bahaha!  MBalaska, you are so in trouble!  I do not fancy really (REALLY) cold weather, but I admit I've always wanted to see Alaska.  It looks like the most beautiful place on earth!

MBalaska Posted 17 Feb 2018 , 3:19am
post #12 of 23

You are right about the gumpaste drying ok.  I made a few big lily leaves and they dried enough to hold up under dusting.  

Take one of the water cruises if you go, it looks the best from a boat.  Up close it's just mud and mosquitos, muskeg and swamp.

MBalaska Posted 17 Feb 2018 , 3:23am
post #13 of 23

and I DO NOT miss this, not one tiny bit.  Ok wait.......... no bugs, snakes, or flying things in 8 months of winter 

Gumpaste Sugar Paste Flowers, Does Edible Spray Glaze Keep Finished Flowers From Wilting?

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Feb 2018 , 3:31am
post #14 of 23

Oh, but it is so beautiful!  You forgot something, grizzle bears and wolves!  They make bugs look like a booger!  Did it stay dark all winter or is that just the North Pole?  Did you get to see the aurora borealis?  I've seen it here twice, but it was red and sort of wimpy.

MBalaska Posted 17 Feb 2018 , 4:40am
post #15 of 23

yes lots of aurora borealis as I worked many decades on nights shift, really unique sight. Green and yellow were the predominant colors where we lived. 

bears and wolves don't crawl out of your drains, fly in the open doors, or crawl through the secret cracks and crevices and sneak up on you to bite you.  At least not very often ~~~~~

however with the extreme dry air all of my fondant and gumpaste work went smoothly.  Everything dried like a dream. That part I will miss.  Course when you have about 20 hours of sunlight in the 4 summer months, I could stay up really late and work on my projects.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 7:51am
post #16 of 23

I know all about creepy crawlies but muskeg was a new one on me.  I just Googled, thanks MBalaska I just learnt something new.

MBalaska Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 6:00pm
post #17 of 23

You've got to consider that if Alaska really was a beautiful paradise, millions of people would live there.  The whole state still has under a million people living there I think.  It's probably worth a visit for people who want to see the vistas, mountain views, glacial ice flows, ocean waterways etc. from the warmth, safety, and comfort of a tour boat, bus, or hotel balcony.   My DH spent every summer growing the most lovely colorful front lawn. Every time he mowed it, a million pissed off mosquitoes rose up from the comfort and leisure in his beautiful lawn and protested.  It sure looked good though.

MBalaska Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 23

........ so it sounds like not too many people actually use the spray food lacquer or glaze spray on their sugar flowers. It sure is expensive even on Amazon. 

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 8:46pm
post #19 of 23

I use CK Confectioners Glaze ($8.99 for 8 oz. from Sweet Wise), which is a liquid, for leaves and other things that I want to be shiny.  Half strength for most foliage, diluted with alcohol, and full strength on eyeballs (on my chocolate sculptures) for a wet look.  It goes a long way, so is pretty inexpensive.  I either dip the leaves (or whatever) or apply it with a Q-tip because I have found NOTHING which will remove it from a brush, or anything else it touches.

MBalaska Posted 18 Feb 2018 , 9:13pm
post #20 of 23

very informational SandraSmiley, Thank You!  I do like inexpensive and your flowers are spectacularly lovely. 

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 12:14am
post #21 of 23

Thank you so much, MBalaska!  I really like to make flowers, but it seems I have sent most of my time doing chocolate models.  I really want to try other varieties.

MBalaska Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 9:12pm
post #22 of 23

Good News, they dried properly, held up to dusting, and didn't wilt.  Whew~~~~~~~~~~ they are my 1st experiment with Calla lilies, and there are several glaring mistakes that need to be corrected the next time.  Proper shaping of the center yellow part seems to be key.  However it is a nice pastime.

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Feb 2018 , 11:09pm
post #23 of 23

Awww, they are beautiful, very realistic!  I've never made a calla lilly, but I love them.  As I said before, I don't think you will have any problems as long as the gum paste is in an air conditioned area.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%