Jackie's Nfsc Recipe - Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Baking By mrsmac888 Updated 9 Feb 2018 , 9:46pm by -K8memphis

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 5

Good Morning,

I made a batch of Jackie's NFSC recipe this week.  Not my first time using this recipe, hence the question.  The flavor and ability to hold it's shape is always consistent, and awesome, but mine are hard.  Not like a rock, but harder than I think they should be.  My dough is not too dry and I take them out of the oven right at the point where the bottom edge is just turning brown.  So my question is ... is it common for this recipe to be harder than your average sugar cookie?

Thanks!
Christina

4 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 5

mrsmac888, I use a recipe almost exactly like hers, except without any baking soda or baking powder.  I've had the recipe for many decades.  I like the firmer cookie, as it taste the same, doesn't break when it's packed up or bagged, and it's easier for me to decorate.

SweetAmbs has a fantastic cookie page on tips.  Very helpful to me.

www.sweetambs.com/tutorial/cookies-some-general-information/

what I call a "sugar cookie" is the recipe that I roll balls into colored sugar and cook on a cookie sheet, and those are nice and soft, and pretty crumbly.  

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 5

MBalaska,

Thank you.  I love sweetambs, but never spent enough  Time on her website to find the page you directed me to. Lots of good information there!

Christina

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 5

the pan also makes a huge difference.  I use the flat, non-sided, aluminum cookie sheet, with a piece of parchment paper underneath the cookies.  And if you have any small corners, like the pointed end of a heart shaped cookie.....point the tip inwards and bake with the fat side out.  

It will be worth the time that you take to view SweetAmbs tutorials, she also has a book.  Through lots of experimentation I've found that her technique of rolling, cutting, chilling, baking etc.  worked the best for me.  

Then there is Julia Usher, Sweetopia,  custom cookies by Jill, and LIlaLoa,  Sweet Sugarbelle.  The Barefoot Baker, Autumn Carpenter......so many talented and fantastic cookie artists.  Oh how I adore cookies!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 5

it's nice and firm -- I add an egg yolk -- they're still firm but just another variation

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%