Was My Price Too High?

Baking By FlRugbyChick Updated 10 Feb 2018 , 6:01pm by -K8memphis

FlRugbyChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlRugbyChick Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 3:30am
post #1 of 13

I had someone ask for a mini mouse smash cake plus 20 cupcakes. I told her $90 and she didn't like the price.   Do you think I was over priced? Was My Price Too High?

12 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 4:26am
post #2 of 13

Hard to say without knowing what prices are like in your area but I would generally say no, you're not pricing too high. I'm guessing you are in the US? Doing a quick currency conversion to AUD, I'd be charging more than that just for the cupcakes!

FlRugbyChick Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 4:59am
post #3 of 13

I am in Florida.  I even bid low because I have been slow lately.  The biggest problem is that my area is flooded with new bakers who will work for practically nothing. 

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 5:42am
post #4 of 13

Urgh, that is so annoying!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 13

no not too high -- plus the copyright thing

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 13

Absolutely, not too high.  I live out in the sticks and I would charge a little more than that.

-K8memphis, since the theme here is pink, instead of Minnie Mouse red, and only the ears and bow are used, would this still be a copywrite infringement?

-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 13

idk -- in my day -- we did tons of minnies and mickeys and all the other ones -- the copyright thing slowly crept up on baking and choked it -- I personally would not do mouse ears like those except for my own family where it's a gift and no one posts online pics of cake --

I mean it's called a "minnie mouse" -- it'd be actionable I think --

what's funny to me is I used to work for a cookie store who did minnie and mickey cookie cakes and put them on display in a mall... with a Disney store! ha!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 11:11pm
post #8 of 13

I've only done one Mickey and Minnie and it was for a family member, so no money was involved.  I have read that personal use where no money is exchanged is permissible, but I reall don't know.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 13

it makes me sad --  it should be fair use but it's not

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 10 Feb 2018 , 2:11am
post #10 of 13

Baby Minnie Mouse is pink, so there would be infringement.

The cupcakes alone would be $40-$60 dollars. So you are definitely under charging. I know you have been slow, but that is no reason to not charge enough to make a profit.

FlRugbyChick Posted 10 Feb 2018 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 13

I normally charge $50 for a 5in cupcake cake. I only went down on the price about $15. That same day I had another customer unhappy with the $125 price for a pregnant belly cake. I am also aware of the copyright issues, but I still make them.

-K8memphis Posted 10 Feb 2018 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 13

one of my favorite things to do is sculptures and i'd do the designer purses -- one guy said this is great -- you're cheaper than the purses she buys -- heheheh --  

so I got schooled on here though for producing the logos -- but when you can make something the same as the real thing -- it's a powerful motivator 

-K8memphis Posted 10 Feb 2018 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 13

I mean *reproducing the logos 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%