Culinary Institute Of America

Business By TSweetTreats Updated 12 Feb 2018 , 6:20pm by Baker Beach

TSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSweetTreats Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 7

I'm a senior in high school and was recently accepted into The Culinary Institute of America - their baking and pastry program. I've been baking for 7 years and running a very successful home bakery for 3 years. I've never gotten tired of it and know that I definitely want a career in the food industry. Has anyone been to The Culinary Institute of America, more specifically their campus in Hyde Park, NY? What are your opinions?

I'm very fortunate that money is not an issue for me as I've gotten a large scholarship from them, so that will not be part of the problem.

Thanks!

Tatum 

6 replies
Evy911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evy911 Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 7

Congratulations. Never been there but wish you the best. Am looking forward to seeing your creations.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 7

I am not familiar either, but what an amazing opportunity!  Go for it!  We expect to see your amazing works!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 8 Feb 2018 , 3:53am
post #4 of 7

Congratulations and double congrats for the large scholarship.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2018 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 7

one of the best things is doing well of course which results in some great networking opportunities you'll have for a lifetime -- one of the most important things to understand is that a baking pastry program culinary degree does not enhance your ability to make money -- someone off the street who can do the same things can make the same money --

for example a teaching degree enables you to earn money as a teacher -- a real estate license provides you with the opportunity to do special things and have access to info reserved for those with licenses -- can't do heart surgery or diagnose a sinus infection without a degree -- people off the street can't do those things without the education and the salaries are reserved for those with the diplomas --

everybody can cook/bake their heads off with or without a degree -- so while school is special/fun/wonderful it does not necessarily prepare you financially for the big bad world --unless you do the business courses and  go with hospitality management -- see what I mean?   

cake decorators/pastry chefs in las vegas maybe make $14 - $16 an hour -- I've been out of the loop for a while but anybody can do that work that's fast and accurate and will show up -- anybody that can make & plate desserts can work a restaurant --

determine what you want to do with your life -- then chose your school -- don't be so pie in the sky that you don't figure in the potential finances you'll be equipped to earn with your choice -- best to you

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Feb 2018 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 7

Brilliant advise, -K8memphis!  I majored in fine arts in college, but had enough sense to realize I was unlikely to be able to earn a living with painting, so I got a teaching degree for security.  As it turned out, I got a job for a manufacturing company and when they realized I could draw, they gave me unlimited fund to start an art department.  Not painting, but art, non-the-less.  I was lucky.

Baker Beach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker Beach Posted 12 Feb 2018 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 7

You are indeed fortunate to have the scholarship to the CIA-- congrats! Take advantage of every second. It sounds like you already have a good work ethic what with school and successful baking already-- keep that up! Never assume you can slack off-- this is a competitive field and there is always someone right behind you.  And as K8memphis said, the business classes will be just as important as the technique. Even if you are working for someone else. Oh, Lord and the math-- learn it!!

Good luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%