First Cake!

Decorating By sabash Updated 8 Feb 2018 , 10:58pm by SandraSmiley

sabash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabash Posted 5 Feb 2018 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

So, I'm making a cake for my best friends son's birthday this Saturday. It's not an order, but I hope to start my home business after this. So it is sort of like a first cake, as it is a big party. Super nervous and super excited!!!

So I've lately started covering my cakes with just ganache and I love it. Especially since it gives me such a good, sturdy canvas for figures, etc. It's a safari themed cake which means lots of animals here and there.

The temperatures are getting higher and it is expected to touch 85f. And it's in the afternoon of course, which means direct sunlight.

My question is, will the ganache hold up? I have no experience with these ganache cakes being left outside for 2, 3 hours at a stretch in the sun.

Help please!! xoxo

5 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 5 Feb 2018 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 6

If it's in the sun it will melt. You are working with chocolate and cream.

Imagine leaving a bloc of chocolate in the sun, ganache is of course even softer.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Feb 2018 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 6

Please tell me the cake will not be setting in the sun at 85 degrees F.!!  I think anything will melt under those conditions, ganache, the sturdiest of buttercreams, fondant, anything.  I love the sturdiness of ganache, too, but it can't perform miracles!  If I were you, I would discuss with my friend a way to keep the cake until just before serving.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Feb 2018 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 6

Sandra is right........the cake needs to be kept in a cool, shady place until just before serving.  2-3 hours in hot sun WILL be a major problem! 

sabash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabash Posted 8 Feb 2018 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you guys!

When I typed 85 F, I actually meant 75 F!

I spoke to my friend and she wants the cake out right before cutting it and then it will be served right away. So hopefully, that should solve my problem. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks for all the help!xx

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Feb 2018 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 6

Perfect!  Thank goodness!  You should have no problems!  Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%