Getting Orders - New To Home Baking

Business By SweetOfferings804 Updated 12 Feb 2018 , 5:17pm by cai0311

SweetOfferings804 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOfferings804 Posted 5 Feb 2018 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone,

I LOVE this cake community. Thanks for sharing knowledge. I've recently started selling cakes and cupcakes.  I have a partnership with a kindermusic studio where I provide cakes for their party packages. They are a new business as well and right now I'm averaging 2 orders a month with them. I'd like to expand and get up to 8 to 10 orders a month.  I have a website and instagram page established.  I tried setting up a Facebook business page 2 times now, but both times I've been kicked off and told that my account was disabled after they asked me for "proof" of ID. At this point, both variations of my business name or "handle"are taken because I've registered with them and been shut down.  I was hoping to get on there as it would be a good way to be exposed to groups that would have a need for custom cakes. I've joined google plus, but it dosen't seem like the groups I was looking for are active on there.

Any thoughts on drumming up orders without facebook?

Thanks!!

11 replies
Evy911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evy911 Posted 6 Feb 2018 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 12

Gift a cake or cupcakes to a few parties. People will taste and see your product. It’s too bad that you had trouble with Facebook but you may be able to work around that and still utilize fb. I only advertise on fb. I have a business page but I also advertise on the local fb classifieds pages. That is where most of my business comes from. And a picture is worth a thousand words. If I’m having a lull in business, I just post a couple of awesome pictures. 

Evy911 Posted 6 Feb 2018 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 12

Gift a cake or cupcakes to a few parties. People will taste and see your product. It’s too bad that you had trouble with Facebook but you may be able to work around that and still utilize fb. I only advertise on fb. I have a business page but I also advertise on the local fb classifieds pages. That is where most of my business comes from. And a picture is worth a thousand words. If I’m having a lull in business, I just post a couple of awesome pictures. 

Evy911 Posted 6 Feb 2018 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 12

Oops, didn’t mean to post that twice. You could sell your cakes at a bazaar also and make sure to advertise and have business cards, even if they’re homemade.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 12:05am
post #5 of 12

What I did yrs ago when I was starting out was to make up a few samples (styro), and flyers and took them around to large offices, beauty shops, banks, etc and asked if they had a 'break room' where I could leave one.  I started out doing this just before valentine's day - my 'sample' was a 10" heart cookie.   I got sooooo many orders I was still baking up more at 8 p.m. Val day!   I used cake mix to make the cookies - getting 3 from each box of mix.  There are seveal pix of them in my album on here.  The other thing I did was offer to the tellers at the bank where I did my business/had my accounts a freee b'day cake - a 8"x2" (single layer) round.  Again when others saw them I got orders.  This was like 25 yrs ago? - long before the wide spread use of the internet :)  When people actually see what you are talking about they usually will order when they need something.

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 8 Feb 2018 , 4:40am
post #6 of 12

Quote by @Evy911 on 1 day ago

I have a business page but I also advertise on the local fb classifieds pages. That is where most of my business comes from. And a picture is worth a thousand words. If I’m having a lull in business, I just post a couple of awesome pictures. 

Hey, that's something I hadn't considered as I'm having trouble getting customers too. Which category do you use? And would you just put a ballpark price with a stipulation that a custom order would be more or less? Thanks!

Evy911 Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 5:24am
post #7 of 12

On the classifieds I don’t put a category. I just list my business name, what I’m selling, add the lowest cake price and put contact information with a picture or two and send a link to my business page. 

Evy911 Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 5:26am
post #8 of 12

Just let them know that they are custom made cakes in the description and prices start at....

Evy911 Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 5:30am
post #9 of 12

Something else I do when there is a lull in business or someone doesn’t pick up a cake they ordered is to auction one off. That way I always make something for the time I’ve put into it. I usually start with a $20 bid and I’m never disappointed with how much it goes for. That being said, I do already have a reputation so, being new, you’d need to build one. Good luck.

Evy911 Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 5:30am
post #10 of 12

Something else I do when there is a lull in business or someone doesn’t pick up a cake they ordered is to auction one off. That way I always make something for the time I’ve put into it. I usually start with a $20 bid and I’m never disappointed with how much it goes for. That being said, I do already have a reputation so, being new, you’d need to build one. Good luck.

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 9 Feb 2018 , 5:43am
post #11 of 12

Thanks; I put a couple up today under miscellaneous and already had a bunch of inquiries and one order! Wish I'd thought to do this months ago!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 12 Feb 2018 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 12

What types of orders are you looking for? 

I focus on wedding cakes. I like that they are larger orders (more money) and book in advance (easier to plan my life). I do bridal shows to bring in those orders. Some are better then others, it took a little trial and error to find the ones I like and the size of show I am comfortable doing.

One of the best things I did was take a photography class. The pictures on your website / instagram is the first impression you make. You need those pictures to look great, and current. Each cake I do is a little better then the last, same for the pictures I take. Every so often I weed out the pictures on the website and add new ones. You don't have to have every cake you have done on your website so keep adding and taking off as you learn and grow your skills.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%