Help With Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By Kylie25 Updated 4 Feb 2018 , 7:15pm by MBalaska

Kylie25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kylie25 Posted 4 Feb 2018 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 4

I’ve been using the same SMB recipe for years and have never had a problem until recently, and I don’t know what’s going on!

When I ice the cake with SMB it’s perfect. Beautifully smooth with no imperfections. 

But if I leave the cake out overnight after I’ve iced it, the buttercream seems to have almost curdled on the cake! If that makes sense. It’s no longer smooth looking and it has a very strange texture to it.

i have no idea how to fix this as I’ve never had this problem before until recently. And It only happens if I leave the cake out overnight. If I keep it in the fridge, it’s perfectly fine.

any help is greatly appreciated! 

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2018 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 4

idk -- I had an issue in the summertime once -- where my smbc got weird and leaky and lumpy so I added powdered sugar and probably cornstarch -- but mine was an issue where I don't think I had the egg whites incorporated well -- some must have been sitting on the bottom of the mixing bowl -- and come to think of it I used my 12 qt and there is a definite gap down there -- but it was a mess -- 

that might be it? or if you put the butter in while the whites are too hot it will melt the butter and release the water in there -- but you probably didn't do that -- idk -- probably a loose egg white on the prowl 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2018 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 4

the loose egg white from when you beat them -- 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Feb 2018 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 4

what recipe & technique are you using? what type of eggs?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%