Prices For Cupcakes

Baking By Ravegirl346 Updated 2 Feb 2018 , 4:03pm by cakefan92

Ravegirl346 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ravegirl346 Posted 2 Feb 2018 , 3:50am
post #1 of 4

I'm new to the whole business i mostly do it as a hobby, i'm trying to look for different prices on basic cupcakes with basic flavors, then i'm trying to figure out on some prices for additional flavors. In the bakeshop that i went in they had a few vanilla cupcakes soaked in brandy with a whipped cream frosting for 2.50   is that the average price for a cupcake like that?     I wanna get a clear idea on it,  If i wanna add additional stuff on it, i was thinking of a additional .25 or 50 cents on designs using fondant or multicolored swirls. 

3 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 2 Feb 2018 , 5:13am
post #2 of 4

Hi Ravegirl346!

Prices will vary greatly from area to area, country to country so maybe if you let us know roughly where you're based it might help   :)

I'm in Aus and my basic cupcake price with just a simple SMBC buttercream swirl is $6. Hope that helps a bit!

x

Baker Beach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker Beach Posted 2 Feb 2018 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 4

I'd visit several morebake shops or websites in your area and see what the usual going prices are for your area. But first, figure out what it costs YOU to make the cupcakes. Then figure how much more it will cost to do the special touches you want. That will give you a better idea of what your price should be.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 2 Feb 2018 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 4

This is the third time you've asked about pricing various items.  No problem, people do it all the time.  However, you do realize that there are bakers from all over the world on this site and each one has their own pricing considerations.

You've stated before that you consider yourself a hobby baker.  If that's true, then your pricing is not that much of an issue.  Charge what covers your expenses and satisfies you.  If you're trying to start a business, then you need to back up.  Take care of the business side first so you'll have a business to take care of.

You need to have your pricing structure firmly in place before you take your first business order.  Put in the time and do the work and do a business plan.  No, it's not fun and it's a LOT of work.  Have your suppliers lined up so you'll know the cost of each ingredient.  Know how much each cookie or cupcake costs you to make.  Don't forget to add in things like dish soap, paper towels, packaging, gas for your car, insurance and utilities. Include shopping and consulting times. Know how long it takes you to produce a dozen cupcakes, start to finish.  Add what you want to pay yourself.  Compare what other bakers and/or bakeries are charging for similar products.

There are so many different items to consider in setting a price that no one else can tell you what to charge. We can give you a ballpark figure or tell you what our price would be, but it wouldn't necessarily fit your situation.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm trying to explain why you're not going to get a simple answer here. I guess you need to decide if you want to keep it a hobby or if you want to go full-blown business. Whichever you decide, I wish you the best and we'll be here to help if we can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%