Is $25 Too Much?

Baking By adri.1017 Updated 7 Feb 2018 , 4:33am by Pucci Cakes

adri.1017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adri.1017 Posted 29 Jan 2018 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 3

Is  Too Much? 

It will come with 7 cupcakes the fondant details as you can tell and in a box. Im really having trouble pricing things from eggs to flour to the boxes, boards... Im in west Texas and do this as a hobby... Anyone have a sheet of how to price things?

2 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 29 Jan 2018 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 3

First of all, I think this is adorable and I would love to get it for Valentine's Day.  Not that I would eat it - I like making cupcakes but I've never liked eating them because they're too messy.

As far as the price . . . there are umpteen thousand threads on here about pricing.  What is the going rate in your area for something similar?  What are your costs - including prep, baking, packaging and delivery?  Are you under the Cottage Law or do you have a commercial kitchen?  How much do you pay yourself per hour?

I'm also in West Texas so I've done some research on this stuff.  I had a licensed, inspected commercial kitchen in my restaurant, but wouldn't do cakes because my customer base felt Walmart prices were too high.  I don't compete with Walmart.

I think your price is fine, if a little on the low side; however, I have no idea what your cost factors might be.  If this is an occasional thing, then charge what makes you happy and what you can get.  If you plan to make this a business, then take the time and do the work to have your pricing structure firmly in place before you take your first order.  Know how you're going to quote any cake/cupcakes/whatever whether you've made them before or not. Know your limitations and know when to turn down an order because it's simply beyond your capabilities at the current time, or you just don't want to do it.

Good luck. I hope you have a good Valentine's Day.

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 7 Feb 2018 , 4:33am
post #3 of 3

I would charge a little more than $25. I was always undercharging for my work but then I realized that after calculating the ingredients and other factors, I wasn't making any profit.  Most of the time I ended up paying myself less than $7 an hour. I don't consider myself a professional baker but if I'm not going to pay myself at least minimum wage for my hour of work then I'm in the wrong business. I think the time spent on preparing, baking, decorating and cleaning up should be considered the most. Best to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%