A Weird Request..please Help

Decorating By momoftwogirls Updated 4 Oct 2005 , 8:08pm by cheekysweets

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 3 Oct 2005 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 28

Okay so now the customer has changed her mind...again...first she wanted a cake with camoflauge, bugs, and cars (i posted a request on that last month)

now she wants the cake to be all camoflauge and have bugs (fake ones of course!!!) on the inside when you cut the cake open. Is that possible?
Wouldn't little plastic bugs melt when I cooked the cake?

any ideas?

thanks a bunch.
Christina

27 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 3 Oct 2005 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 28

??????????????Maybe you can make little pot holes in the cake once you have baked it. And if you are going to put a filling it, get it to the stage right before you ice it. Add your bugs and fill back in with cake and then ice it??????????????????????????? icon_confused.gif

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 3 Oct 2005 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 28

This is just a suggestion I do not know if it will help. But why not torte the cake or cut each layer in half ice the layers and put the bugs between them. I do not know if that will help but its the only way I can think of you could do it. Your right little plastic bugs would melt if cooked in the oven.

momoftwogirls Posted 3 Oct 2005 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 28

cake rookie - yeah, that sounds good. I didn't even think about cutting each layer. I was thinking just placing in the icing when I put the two rounds together.

briansbaker - so I would hollow out little holes..put in a bug..and then fill back with the cake I took out originally?

She stills doesn't know if she wants a sheet cake or round. if she desides on a sheet cake I would need to do the 'pot holes'

SugarCreations Posted 3 Oct 2005 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 28

I do not know how big your bugs are. But you could use a melon baller. Scoop out the ball put in the bug. You could use the balls as decorations or something. If the bugs are small enough you might even be able to put the ball back in the hole. Just an idea.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 3 Oct 2005 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 28

I just think putting them in the cake at all is a bad idea. The people may not see them and end up with a choking episode. I would call that customer back and explain the hazard it would pose and tell her I would not do that.

SugarCreations Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 12:00am
post #7 of 28

Find gummy worms or something you could use those.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 12:07am
post #8 of 28

I agree ....I don't think plastic bugs concealed in the cake is a good idea at all. How can someone sit back and enjoy a piece of cake if they know they have to watch for bits of plastic and if they dont know it could be hazzardous to teeth or even cause a choking disaster.If you DO decide to accommodate the customer and add the bugs inside maybe you could make them out of something edible? If not..make them sign something that you arent responsible...and I still dont know if that would save you from being liable. icon_confused.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 12:21am
post #9 of 28

I wouldn't do it at all, and I think pretty much anything edible will either melt or dissolve or just not look like a bug anymore when it's covered with blobs of icing or chunks of cake.

I can just see a dozen 6 year olds choking on little bugs. Not a pleasant thought if you want to keep your house!

Ali

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 12:22am
post #10 of 28

EXACTLY icon_biggrin.gif

momoftwogirls Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 12:36am
post #11 of 28

My first thought was they would say, "what the 'heck' is that!!!!" and spit it out. I don't think i would want that kind of reaction!

I didn't think of them chocking!! OH MY!!

You are right. I will not be doing this cake.
THANKS to cake central's experts !!!

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 12:37am
post #12 of 28

Maybe the customer would settle for bugs peeking out of the cake so you could just push them into the frosting a little bit with their heads and bodies sticking out like they are escaping from the cake. icon_eek.gif

Joan

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 4:52am
post #13 of 28

I liked cake rookies Ideas about gummy worms.... Ive seen other molds maybe you could make some they they are super easy and cheap and you could maybe mix in the filling in the middle.....

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 5:18am
post #14 of 28

Over in England you can also get gummy bugs. They're sold under the trade name of bursting bugs. When you bite into them 'blood' comes gushing out

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 12:19pm
post #15 of 28

EWWW!!! That's sounds gross--Kids will love them!

momoftwogirls Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 12:34pm
post #16 of 28

EWWWW is right!!!!

The kids really would love them. I will have to see if there is such a thing. If not I think I will use gummy worms or try to convince the customer to just let me put them on the ouside of the cake.

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 1:07pm
post #17 of 28

Get the gummy bugs they are by the fruit snaks at Walmart I think they are the Shrek ones I have bought those before but I still don't know if I would want it in the cake they still are kinda small and still could be choked on! I would just have to explain that to the customer that is why King cakes do not have the babies in it when you purchase them anymore. Just not safe..

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 2:18pm
post #18 of 28

I wouldn't put them inside...taking to big a risk.

If she still want the bugs, try talking her into letting you do the gummy bugs on top where they can be seen.

Even if she signs a waiver and something happens, your name will be ruined.

Good luck.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 2:46pm
post #19 of 28

First of all, is shepaying you enough for this cake to warrant digging holes and filling them back in? Probably not. Besides, she sound like a whack job to me, but a customer ois a customer.

If she insists on having the 'bugs' in the cake, just sprinkle a few raisins in the batter and let the kids think they are bugs. No biggie!

Debbi

momoftwogirls Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 3:04pm
post #20 of 28

no debsuewoo she is NOT paying me enough to do all that. I will see her today and discuss all of this!

thanks for all the tips. I will let everyone know what happens.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 3:22pm
post #21 of 28

I agree that you could be liable for someone choking...imagine one of these kids choking and the parents coming after you, the baker, with a lawsuit. I would fill it with gummy worms or gummy bugs/candies (torte the cake and put them in after you bake). At least it is edible and if they choke, they can't blame you.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 3:40pm
post #22 of 28

I think the raisins are a great idea. Hopefully if you mention the choking factor to the customer, she will agree with you and go another route. In any case, I would definitely use edible bugs instead of plastic ones. Unless the plastic ones are big enough not be choked on and are on top only. The liability issue is huge these days... not only that, but I would feel terrible if someone got hurt from something I made. If I couldn't convince her that plastic bugs are a bad idea, then I would turn down the cake.

cakelady1994 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1994 Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 3:54pm
post #23 of 28

i agree with everyone on not putting the plastic bugs in the cake.but what about those plastic bug rings they are kind of big.

cheekysweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekysweets Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 4:21pm
post #24 of 28

If you are looking for the EWWWWWW factor. Torte the cake cut out the center of the bottom and fill it with jello and candy bugs. put the top and ice it. So when the cake is cut it will ooze out slime

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 7:34pm
post #25 of 28

Whatever you decide to do, please keep in mind that just because something is edible doesn't mean it isn't a choking hazard. Even gummy, which is soft, can get lodged in the throat if you don't know it's there. I personally would stick with stuff that's visible, or the raisins are a good idea, too. The mom can tell the kids they're bugs that got cooked in with the cake. EEEWWW! icon_razz.gif

Ali

momoftwogirls Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 7:36pm
post #26 of 28

now that calls for a double EWWWWWWW EWWWWWW!!!!!

How do you put the jello in it? Could you explain that more please?? That would be a great idea for a halloween cake!!

I talked to the mom today and we are NOT putting anything in the cake. I told her about the choking and she totally agreed. She said she didn't even think about it.
I think she was embarrased.
Like me, I was too. I have children of my own and that didn't even accure to me. OH MY!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 7:51pm
post #27 of 28

I am glad you got that all worked out! Better to be safe than have an accident. I am sure the kids will love the cake no matter what!
traci

cheekysweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheekysweets Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 8:08pm
post #28 of 28

That idea is from a halloween spider cake. Cut the center out of the bottom cake so it is a ring use the cut out circle as the head. Fill it with jello that has not firmed up all the way. Then put the top layer on. For the spider frost it black use licorice for the legs and gumballs for eyes. When you cut into the cake it oozes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%