Icing Sliding Off Cake Help!

Decorating By craftycakes0627 Updated 27 Jan 2018 , 3:25pm by thecakeartist2017

craftycakes0627 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycakes0627 Posted 25 Jan 2018 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 8

HELP! I spent hours acting sugar sheet dots to the top tier of a cake and just noticed the iving is now drooping off the cake.  How can I fix it?? I popped it inbthe fridge put of desperationIcing Sliding Off Cake Help!9

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jan 2018 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 8

Maybe by now you have already figured out something but ehre are my thoughts:        Was your cake completely cool before starting?  Is it the top shell border you are concerned about?  If it's the top border, the I suggest you carefully scrape it off and do it over - and put if a tiny bit farther on the top edge - so it's not right on the very edge.  

craftycakes0627 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycakes0627 Posted 25 Jan 2018 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 8

So far I am praying if it chills enough to really setup it will work.  I wanted the top border slightly over the edge but the back of the cake (not pictured, looks like a ski slope!  The cake was completely cooled but I think when I was adding the scales, all the dots of buttercream (piping gel wasn't working, weighed it down...  the the border and well..  lesson learned.. I dis use a fondant smoother to push the icing on the back up onto the side again and immediately chilled it.   I really hope that's enough because otherwise, I will  need to redecorate the entire tier...  :(

The cake is due tomorrow and I don't have enough sugar paper dots to redo it ....  so I would have to hand pipe and pray...  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2018 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 8

,,,,,,,,,"adding the scales, all the dots of buttercream (piping gel wasn't working), weighed it down"........

No :)   I have done many 100s of  b'cream cakes - that never has happened.  If they were thick fondant or gp dots maybe:)      Do let me know how it fares over night and thru delivery.  My only other thought is maybe it isn't the icing but that the cake itself has fallen apart but if you pushed the 'slope' back up I guess that isn't the case either. 

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 27 Jan 2018 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 8

The only time I have had that happen was due to high humidity.  I learned the hard way that when the weather is really humid...as it usually is in South Carolina, even in winter, that I have to begin working several days ahead of time to give the icing time to set.  I even give the crumb coat at least a few hours before adding the first layer of buttercream. Once the cake is iced, I have to let it set up for at least 12 hours before even thinking about adding piping or decorations.  Then another 12 to 24 hours before delivering the cake.  I've tried all different kinds of buttercream and nothing worked. Finally learned to adjust my working schedule.  Tried putting cakes in fridge to speed up the process...Nope!  Room temp is your friend if you have the time to spare.  And that is tough if not a professional baker and just a hobbiest like me.  Hope this helps a little in the future.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Jan 2018 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 8

you may make your scales much thinner.  Just roll them out really thin, let it dry a bit before you cut them.

or

put a thin layer of fondant on the whole cake before you glue them on.  It just takes a bit of water for glue when you put it on fondant.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Jan 2018 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 8

https://www.etsy.com/market/scale_fondant_cutter

or instead of whole circles, you can cut the weight and mass down by using little fondant scale cutters. 

thecakeartist2017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeartist2017 Posted 27 Jan 2018 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 8

When you pipe borders close to the edge like that you need to make the icing thicker. I've had icing to slip off the cake and it's usually one of two reasons. Either the icing us too soft or there's too much icin on it. Hope this helps! Be blessed! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%