Buttercream Worries

Baking By Flix Updated 26 Jan 2018 , 2:18am by bubs1stbirthday

Flix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flix Posted 24 Jan 2018 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all

We have made a 3 tier wedding cake with each tier a 4 layer brown sugar buttermilk with american buttercream salted caramel as filling/crumb coat.

We are getting ready to ganache with white choc and then fondant once ganache has set however we are a bit concerned with our american buttercream as it seems to be a bit soft and lost its crust when coming to room temp.

The wedding date is saturday with a max temp of 33 degrees celsius (91 farenheit) and meant to be very humid at an indoor venue with air con but my biggest fear is everything melting!

I guess im seeking some views on whether a chilled cake on delivery that comes to room temp will be secure given its also ganached. The buttercream is not sloppy but just a little soft despite upping the icing sugar content to make up for the addition of caramel but this is whats causing the concen. The cake will be dowelled (no sps here unfortunately).  

Would love to hear thoughts on this!

Thanks all

4 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 25 Jan 2018 , 8:41am
post #2 of 5

Your ganache will help hold the cake together as long as it doesn't soften too much itself, being white chocolate it will soften if it's outside in that heat.

If you are in Aus I doubt there will be any weddings this weekend that wont have some sort of air conditioning where you can put the cake.

For future reference you can buy solite at the cake shop that is completely vegan, I have been using it in place of butter in my icings lately as my second bub is dairy intolerant (so I can't eat dairy).

I never thought I would say this about solite but it really is great, you can hardly tell the difference in both ABC (actually I think it improves ABC personally, it seems to really knock out some of the sweetness out of it which I think is great) and SMBC but it holds up to heat like you wouldn't believe. Even running it under the hot tap does little to shift this stuff without the addition of dishwashing liquid.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 25 Jan 2018 , 8:41am
post #3 of 5

Your ganache will help hold the cake together as long as it doesn't soften too much itself, being white chocolate it will soften if it's outside in that heat.

If you are in Aus I doubt there will be any weddings this weekend that wont have some sort of air conditioning where you can put the cake.

For future reference you can buy solite at the cake shop that is completely vegan, I have been using it in place of butter in my icings lately as my second bub is dairy intolerant (so I can't eat dairy).

I never thought I would say this about solite but it really is great, you can hardly tell the difference in both ABC (actually I think it improves ABC personally, it seems to really knock out some of the sweetness out of it which I think is great) and SMBC but it holds up to heat like you wouldn't believe. Even running it under the hot tap does little to shift this stuff without the addition of dishwashing liquid.

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 25 Jan 2018 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 5

I don't mean to knock it at all but, is it weird to eat something that is so sturdy?

bubs1stbirthday Posted 26 Jan 2018 , 2:18am
post #5 of 5

Nope, the texture is basically identical to it butter made counterpart.

I don't know why it has such a high melt point while maintaining the same texture as butter, I am sure there is a chemical explanation but I don't know it sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%