Pricing! I Know It’S Been Said A Million Times!!

Business By MamaKimCakes Updated 21 Jan 2018 , 2:28pm by JustOneMoreCake

MamaKimCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaKimCakes Posted 18 Jan 2018 , 3:31am
post #1 of 7

Hi there and thank you in advance!! I’m new to the selling of my cakes!! I have only made them for family and the closest of friends who are family!! I have recently been asked to make a bridal shower cake (I’ll include picture)! Specialty fillings on each layer, fondant, and hand made sugar paste flowers. Layers will probably be 10” base, 8” second tier and then the 6” sphere for the teapot. So I honestly have no idea what to charge. Im in NY in the lower Hudson Valley, not city but not boondocks either. I’m thinking I should try going to a few cake shops around here to see what they would charge me. Thanks again for any help!!Pricing! I Know It’S Been Said A Million Times!!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2018 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 7

That's a very fussy/beautiful cake.  It will take lots of time to make just the decorations.  Pricing is sooooo very hard to suggest because of the differences from town to city to country but my just-off-the-top-of- my- head thought would be no less than $500 and maybe closer to $1,000. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2018 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 7

this is a gravity defying sculpture so -- yeah like lynne said $750 ish -- don't under sell this, please -- oh yeah plus the specialty fillings like another $1 per -- ahh, $825 and counting -- delivery and tax 

kaching kaching

is that your cake? it's wonderful

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jan 2018 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 7

are you making the cup? another fifty bucks

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 21 Jan 2018 , 10:31am
post #5 of 7

Agree with the girls, sculpted cake-specifically round cakes are more difficult (i.e. Time consuming) not to mention the sugar flowers. I would think in your area their pricing is very conservative, but I just assume there are more shops in your area. 

You can look to other Custom Cakers in your area for base pricing, check their websites to get a general idea but your still going to need to do your homework to get an accurate pricing structure. Most of the work involved in pricing is going to be based off your time & skill level. 

Michelle Green from The Business of Baking has a great book and now a Craftsy class that breaks down everything for you. I know for creatives charging for something we love doing is difficult but I think undervaluing your time/product does a great injustice to you (and everyone else in this business). Sorry for the speech

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 21 Jan 2018 , 10:33am
post #6 of 7

Take a look at a site like Caljava and see what it would cost for you to purchase an estimate of the sugar flowers you think you'll need-then double it because it always takes more right?! And that's just for purchasing them in white, plus custom coloring them... Try to break it down like that and time yourself for baking, covering a cake, etc. When you start keeping track of things like that plus experience you'll get a better idea of how long certain things cost and how much you want to make an hour (these things will also change with your experience you'll get faster but your skills will also improve). 

Hope that helps! 

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 21 Jan 2018 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 7

That is a thousand dollar cake if I ever saw one.  I'm speaking as a consumer in a major city.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%