Help With Gold

Baking By Riada7 Updated 21 Jan 2018 , 11:08am by bubs1stbirthday

Riada7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Riada7 Posted 15 Jan 2018 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a wedding cake with one of the tiers being gold.  I'm not using fondant.  

I'm wondering how to get gold. Is it airbrushed or painted? I tried airbrush but it looked yellow.  I'll probably use whipped cream frosting like Richs Bettercream so I don't think I can paint it. Gold foil looks like it should be in small increments. Wilton sugar sheets got bad reviews.

Can you help?

5 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 15 Jan 2018 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 6

I find gold stands out brilliantly on Chocolate - gives an antique gold colour when you dry brush it, my favourite is Brand 'The edible silk range' Colour 'Metallic Gold Sands'. Ingredients E172 & E171.

So you could ganache it then when set go over it with the gold. Try it for yourself on a small amount of ganache if you are interested and see if it's what you are going for :-) 

I use a 2 part Milk/dark chocolate mix (I use Cadbury real milk cooking discs and mix to my own taste) to 1 part cream usually. I use the Ganacherator (if you enter that in the search box it should come up in an old post) to work out how much I will need.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jan 2018 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 6

If you are in the US.....there are very few choices for using gold.  The US has not approved the use of gold on anything that is edible. - ONLY on items/decorations that will be removed before serving.  Gold foil in NOT edible and VERY, Very expensive to buy.  And putting it on whipped topping type icing? I just can't see any way.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jan 2018 , 12:06am
post #4 of 6

I am doing a 50th wedding anniversary cake and would really have loved making the whole cake gold.  But as kakeladi said, while considered food safe, gold of any kind is not rated as edible.  Instead, I am making all the trimmings, the topper and the initial plaque gold, all of which can be removed before eating.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 21 Jan 2018 , 10:40am
post #5 of 6

Edible Art Paint can go right on BC but it would look great on ganache! It paints on chocolate, BC, fondant, etc. and they have a great metallic range. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 21 Jan 2018 , 11:08am
post #6 of 6

I forgot about this stuff, I have only used the standard colours but I agree, they are fantastic and easy to use.

Quote by @Smckinney07 on 27 minutes ago

Edible Art Paint can go right on BC but it would look great on ganache! It paints on chocolate, BC, fondant, etc. and they have a great metallic range. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%