Friday Night Cake Club For 1/06/18

Decorating By catlharper Updated 8 Jan 2018 , 10:48pm by kstevens

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 2:53am
post #1 of 15

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if you need it, provide help if you can!

Cat

14 replies
catlharper Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 2:55am
post #2 of 15

Hi everyone!

We had an event at work last night so by the time I got home it was bedtime! Hope everyone had a WONDERFUL holiday! I don't have any cakes due till the 25th and that's a work birthday cake that I need to decide what I'm actually doing! LOL! Hope to see lots of inspiration tonight!

Cat

sweettherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettherapy Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 7:55am
post #3 of 15

I did my first gender reveal!Friday Night Cake Club For 1/06/18

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 15

Sweettherapy what a cute cake. Was it a boy or girl?

I made cookies for a sip and see that I hosted to show off my grandson. I forgot to take pictures of them all set out, but I got this one before I left the house. 

sweettherapy Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 15

It was a boy, I tried to be tricky and put the girl bear on top because the mom to be (a friend) felt she was having a girl, she and her husband were super excited, she would have been excited either way, it is the first baby. Those cookies are so darn cute!!!!

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 15

What a gorgeous gender reveal cake!!! I bet they were well chuffed!!

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 15

2 cakes from me, first was Charmander, I put candles in his flame tail!! And the second was for my best friends mum, she loves poppies and forget-me-nots!!Friday Night Cake Club For 1/06/18Friday Night Cake Club For 1/06/18

sweettherapy Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 15

Beautiful cakes and what a cute idea for the tail!! 

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 15

Shellbell181 love your Charmander it is flawless and what a great idea to but the candles in his tail. The other one is beautiful.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 15

@sweettherapy  Super cute gender reveal cake. I love the teddy bears. I wish I could make one of these cake some day...

@Marian64 those onesie cookie are too adorable!

@shellbell181 beautiful Charmander! I cant stop looking at his eyes. I love all the blues. Your flower cake is gorgeous too. Love the gold accent.

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 8 Jan 2018 , 2:11am
post #11 of 15

Happy New Year everyone!  So happy that FNCC is back!

@sweettherapy  very cute gender reveal cake.  They are so fun to do.

@Marian64  your cookies are soo cute!

@shellbell181  your Charmander cake is spot on and such a great idea to put the candles in the tail!  The flowers and butterflies on your second cake are so pretty!

Between work and cakes I have been going pretty much flat out since September and finally got all my cakes posted to my profile just this weekend.  I did my first cake of 2018 this week for my friend Scott.  He sent me a text on Tues saying he was already up for worst partner of the year because he forgot Mike's birthday was on Fri.  He wanted to know if I had any cakes in my freezer that I could pull out and decorate.  I did not but I wanted to still try & pull off a cake in time for him.  After a quick search I found this design that caught my eye.  It had a modern look to it which I felt suited Mike.  The image didn't have a watermark so I'm not sure who the designer was to give them credit.  I made the cake a little more my own by texturing the middle tier with the lizard impression mat by Marvelous Molds, the original design was a plain black tier.  I also changed up the number of gold hexagon accents and added "Mike" on the bottom tier.  They loved it and I hope you all do as well.

kstevens Posted 8 Jan 2018 , 2:12am
post #12 of 15

catlharper Posted 8 Jan 2018 , 2:46am
post #13 of 15

WOW! What great cakes!

kstevens you have inspired me! I have to make that cake for later this month and have been trying to figure out what to do...I love this idea! So look for a play-off version later this month from me!

Cat

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 8 Jan 2018 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 15

@kstevens your cake is just so perfect. I cant believe you did that on such a short notice.

@catlharper cant wait to see your version of it!

And also happy new year to all of you. 

kstevens Posted 8 Jan 2018 , 10:48pm
post #15 of 15

@catlharper  I will look forward to seeing your take on that cake design.  If you do the hexagons I would suggest starting in the center of the cake. Place the first one at the bottom edge and then the next two on top of it.  From there I would place the two half ones on either side of the center ones at the bottom edge and then continue from there.  I made the mistake of wrapping the ones on the edges of the cake around to the next side. In the end because my first placed hexagons weren't exactly centered and also because my cake wasn't a perfect square, I ended up with a gap at the back of the cake that I filled with a strip of the wood grain fondant.  I think it would work much better to cut the ones at the edges and start the next side just as the first side.  This should keep everything uniform.  Hope that makes sense.

@Laetia  thanks for your kind words.  I had some extra time to work on it as it stormed here Thursday with snow and crazy high winds.  I stayed home from work that day so that gave me the time I needed to complete it.  The panic though was that I'd lose power before I got it done as the power company was warning there would be widespread outages.  Thankfully the power stayed on and I got it all done in time.  My one goof in my haste though was making the top two tiers closer in size to each other than I was going for.  Oh well, Scott and Mike loved it so that is what matters :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%