Cottage Food License Limits?

Business By theangrycupcake Updated 7 Jan 2018 , 1:31am by ypierce82

theangrycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theangrycupcake Posted 6 Jan 2018 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 3

I have had a cottage food home bakery for over a year now and have always been under the impression that things like buttercream, cream cheese frosting, whipped cream, ganache, and lemon curd were all against the rules and I could not sell them. I have made them for family cakes and things such as that but have never sold them and I'm not sure if they are all against the rules because I have seen other cottage food operations in my area advertise these options. I'm from Nevada, in Lyon county, and I was wondering if I am able to make any of these things for customers because I have many people ask for them. Thanks in advance. 

2 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 1:29am
post #2 of 3

Every state, city, county is different, but you'll definitely want to check before you sell anything you're not sure of. In most instances, you can not sell anything that needs to be refrigerated. If they are selling items that they aren't supposed to, that's a whole different situation, but don't concern yourself with them, make sure you're not selling what isn't allowed. You should be able to find the law and rules on the county website, or type in Cottage Food Law Lyon County and that should get you a result. 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 7 Jan 2018 , 1:31am
post #3 of 3

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%