Hemisphere Cake Dummie

Lounge By kstevens Updated 5 Jan 2018 , 9:30pm by shdvl

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 2 Jan 2018 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 12

Happy new year everyone!

I am hoping to find an 8" hemisphere cake dummy for an upcoming cake.  I've done an online search and McCall's had them but they are out of stock.  I plan to contact them to see if they will restock but in the meantime thought I'd see if anyone here has ever purchased one?  I'm in Canada so looking for a Canadian distributor.  I could just use RKT but the dummy would be time saving. 

Thanks!

Kelly

11 replies
mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 2 Jan 2018 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 12

You might try      www. dallas-foam.com.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 2 Jan 2018 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 12

I am not sure where in Canada you are but do you have a craft store nearby, like Michael's?  You may have luck finding what you need there in the floral supply section.

kstevens Posted 2 Jan 2018 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 12

@mahtc2016 I will have a look at that website.  Thanks!

@Freckles0829 I had thought of purchasing a floral foam hemispehere but thought that it might be too fragile?  From my experience the floral foam crushes easier.  I guess so long as I have everything well supported it should be ok.

Thank you both for your input :-)

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 2 Jan 2018 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 12

@kstevens well there is floral foam (the green stuff) and then there is styrofoam (the white stuff).  You want the white stuff.  The green foam will definitely be too delicate and after many years as a floral designer, things do not stick to it (such as tape, etc) and will just peel right off.

http://canada.michaels.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-MichaelsCanada-Site/en_CA/Product-Show?pid=M10324963&cgid=910534826

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jan 2018 , 2:40am
post #6 of 12

Our Walmart carries both styrofoam and floral foam spheres.

kstevens Posted 3 Jan 2018 , 3:16pm
post #7 of 12

@Freckles0829  I have worked with the white ones before and found them really messy/fragile.  Maybe it was what I was trying to do with them?  It was quite some time ago so maybe I'm just remembering it wrong too.

@SandraSmiley  I never thought to check good old Wally World as I like to call it (lol).

Thank you both for your help!

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jan 2018 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 12

I have used the oasis (floral foam) covered with fondant without any problems.  I really prefer it because it is so much responsive to carving.  This cake has an oasis ball on top.Hemisphere Cake Dummie

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 3 Jan 2018 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 12
kstevens Posted 4 Jan 2018 , 5:07am
post #10 of 12

@SandraSmiley  what a gorgeous cake!  I am looking to use the hemisphere dummy as the bottom half of a sphere which will then have more cake on top of it plus if all goes well a RKT topper.  I'll have all kinds of internal support so I guess any foam should work? 

I tried both Walmart and Michaels tonight with no real success.  All Walmart had was a 6" sphere and the prices at Michaels damn near knocked my socks off!  They had "fun foam"which even though it was in the floral section seemed more geared towards cake use by the label.  At any rate, they had an 8" hemisphere but it was hollow and something like $16!  This cake isn't until Feb so for now I have time to hopefully find something.  I'm still open to RKT so that may be the path I take.

@jchuck thanks for the suggestion of Golda's but I'm looking for a hemisphere dummy and I don't see those non their site.

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jan 2018 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 12

kstevens,  if you sign up to receive emails from Michael's, they have 40% to 50% off coupons for one item all the time.  It brings their price down to just about where it should be.  

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 5 Jan 2018 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 12

Kstevens I had same problem lat summer when I made my son's BB8 cake ended up cheaper to buy whole sphere and cut it, than the half sphere. I used large percent off coupons to buy the forms too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%