My Four Tier Cake Started Melting And Leaning

Decorating By Kfadams29

Kfadams29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kfadams29 Posted 1 Jan 2018 , 12:45am
post #1 of 1

This weekend I had an order for a 4 tier cake for my co worker’s Mother’s 70th birthday. I made the cake 2 days ahead because I didn’t want to have to rush the day of and I also wanted my frosting to set. The cake was on my kitchen table and it was perfect. The frosting was stiff, no melting, and no leaning. I delivered the cake and it was still in good condition upon arrival.  

When I arrived at the home I saw that my co worker set up her cake table in the middle of her living room under a light that was giving off a lot of heat, also across from the cake were about 20 hot plates heating up their food for the party. Not to mention 20 people sitting in the living room. I ran back outside to get my tools to setup and her son locked my car door with my keys and tools inside! I went back inside and noticed that someone had taken the cake out of the box and sat it directly under the light. I went into panick mode but didn’t react. I let my co worker know that my keys were locked in the car and her son did it. She called for help and I stayed outside waiting on the locksmith which took about 45 mins. 

When I went back inside to assemble the cake I notice that their was some damages to the cake from whomever took it out of the box. No problem, I had my tool.

As more people started coming in they began gathering around the cake and it was hot!!! It had to be every bit of 85-90 degrees in the House. I asked my coworker and her sister if there was somewhere cooler to place the cake and she said they wanted to leave it there for pictures. 

So, I stacked my cake and finished decorating and noticed that the frosting was melting due to the heat. I immediately let the customers know that it was too hot in there and the light is a problem. She ended up turning the light off and turning on the fan. The fan cooled it down a little but it was leaning due to the melting. I tried everything to help that cake but it still was not the way it should have been. 

I felt bad and not to mention I was a nervous wreck. That has never happened before and I’ve been using the same recipe for a while now. I don’t know if it’s my fault if there’s? Did I do something wrong? Was it the temperature or was something off in my cake? 

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%