Dairy, Corn Free Pourable Icing

Decorating By Katherine1972 Updated 22 Dec 2017 , 8:54pm by -K8memphis

Katherine1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katherine1972 Posted 15 Dec 2017 , 4:33am
post #1 of 24

I am doing an order of brownies, cut into squares and all individually iced different colors and arranged to make a Tetris theme. The picture she provided and regular hand done frosting on them and frankly i thought it looked pretty messy. I was thinking a poured icing would look better but it seems all the pourable icings have corn syrup or chocolate and they have to be dairy, corn, soy, potato and gluten free. I found in a couple posts online about pourable frosting but no recipe. Do you think I could just do a really thin consistency buttercream ( I used palm shortening instead of butter in my buttercream) and how would I achieve that? Add some almond milk? Would it setup?

23 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 15 Dec 2017 , 10:56am
post #2 of 24

Sorry to get off topic but could I possibly have your recipe for the Gluten Free/Dairy Free brownie? My Grandma is Gluten intolerant and my bub is Dairy intolerant so I can't eat dairy :-/ Such a pain to get a recipe that we can both eat and changing out recipes to suit both of us almost never works out for the best lol.

Thank you.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2017 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 24

confectioner's sugar has corn starch in it to keep it from clumping -- you could maybe make a cooked glaze type icing with granulated sugar but to get it opaque you'll need titanium dioxide aka white food color and it's juts my opinion that if someone is that intolerant to that variety of substances titanium dioxide might not be a good additive --

but a possible resolution is to use edible icing sheets -- it says they do not contain any known allergens --

http://www.icingimages.com/edible-icing-sheets 

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2017 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 24

*just

-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2017 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 24

but of course you need to check the ingredients 

Katherine1972 Posted 15 Dec 2017 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 24

She is ok with cornstarch but avoids corn syrup and corn of more substance , corn flour, corn meal etc. 

they actually are typically in a specific carbohydrate diet so this whole brownie things is a total splurge. 

I have no experience with edible sheets and I think that would taken us completely out of budget. 

Bubs: look up paleo recipes ;) 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2017 , 12:34am
post #7 of 24

cornstarch is corn flour -- while they are not making a lot of sense -- i TOTALLY understand and completely endorse splurging :)

Katherine1972 Posted 16 Dec 2017 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 24

It’s not an anaphylactic allergic reaction ;) and it does make a difference. Like my daughter has seizures from soy but not with soy lecithin. The more processed something is sometimes the less the reaction. 

What about this glaze? Would this setup? 

https://www.thespruce.com/vanilla-icing-or-glaze-3057706

-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2017 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 24

i'm sorry to hear your daughter has seizures -- so good that you know some of the things that make it worse -- i hope she grows out of it soon! 

yeah, as far as that icing goes -- that should set up fine -- that's what i typically add to my glaze but i never measure -- using milk instead of water makes it nicer -- applying two coats will make it more opaque -- i recommend that you mix it and use it right away -- it just works out better -- looks better -- 

i hope it doesn't round off the edges too much for your theme to shine through -- kwim -- i would freeze the brownies -- slice and glaze -- when you glaze -- have a piping bag ready to cover missed spots but use a wide enough pourer/spout/measuring cup to cover the width of the brownies all at once so enough gets all over with the first pass --

icing/glazing like this can be a real pia -- so practice this first --  my best to you

Katherine1972 Posted 16 Dec 2017 , 10:19pm
post #10 of 24

Thank you. I can’t use milk but I can use almond milk. I didn’t think of glaze making them look rounded. I just looked at the picture she provided and I thought they looked a little messy and I thought it would look better if the squares were all colored instead of the brownie showing? So I thought maybe glaze the. And then ice the tips with buttercream?

here is the photo she gave me to reference Dairy, Corn Free Pourable Icing

-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2017 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 24

like i said, cut them frozen, and turn them upside down so you get the super flat side but yes it will look rounded -- just the nature of the beast -- that's why edible ink paper is a great idea for that super evenness you're looking for -- too bad they would bust the budget -- you have to weigh your options huh

another good idea depending on the size of your gems is to cut them out with a cookie cutter -- frozen of course --

this reminds me of the 'baby blocks' cake syndrome -- we used to way under price those miserable little things -- they are not easy to make it look presentably even/straight/perfect without it looking loving hands at home kwim 

Katherine1972 Posted 21 Dec 2017 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 24

Well that was a nightmare. I’m still learning my limitations and next time I’ll say no to brownies and yes to cake with pourable icing. 

These brownies are made with almond flour and very dense and chewy so they squish even chilled. The only plus to that was some ability to mush the shape a little, bit they cane out different heights and frosting those 88  1” square bits by hand took literally all day and they still don’t look perfect. Dairy, Corn Free Pourable Icing

bubs1stbirthday Posted 21 Dec 2017 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 24

If you only had to ice the top originally what I would have done is ice a bigger chunk of brownie, partially freeze and cut the small squares from the bigger chunk while it was partly frozen....... just in case you ever want to do such a thing again  lol.

I think for what they are they look just fine and pretty similar to the first photo you put up of what you wanted to achieve :-)

Katherine1972 Posted 21 Dec 2017 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 24

Once gf cf cake or brownies are frozen it takes a chainsaw to cut them 

bubs1stbirthday Posted 22 Dec 2017 , 5:06am
post #15 of 24

The only time I have frozen G/F cakes is when I used a packet mix and that froze really well, must have got lucky :-)

-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2017 , 2:50pm
post #16 of 24

katherine, cake may be less squishy but it's just as problematic to cover cake and/or brownies to get it all square --

i'll never forget mike mccarey and some other cake artists including colette peters were in a cake competition on tv -- mike made this ridiculously perfect square chocolate tier cake -- immensely difficult -- colette won and to me, she even looked surprised because mike's degree of difficulty was astronomical -- her cake was fabulously wonderful but i always thought that was misjudged by a long shot --  and i'm a big fan of colette's she's awesome but mike was brilliant that time --

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Dec 2017 , 3:58pm
post #17 of 24

I am late to the party, but I would have used white chocolate with a little paraffin added, like for dipping candy balls or cake pops.  The chocolate could have been colored.

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Dec 2017 , 3:59pm
post #18 of 24

I am late to the party, but I would have used white chocolate with a little paraffin added, like for dipping candy balls or cake pops.  The chocolate could have been colored.

Katherine1972 Posted 22 Dec 2017 , 4:40pm
post #19 of 24

It had to be dairy free so I could t use white chocolate amsnthey domt make readily available dairy free white chocolate. I would have had to order raw cocoa and try to make white chocolate which i haven’t done yet either. 

Katherine1972 Posted 22 Dec 2017 , 4:41pm
post #20 of 24

Memphis, I bet it wasn’t a 1” cube either lol I think I’d stand a better chance with a full size cake 

Katherine1972 Posted 22 Dec 2017 , 4:44pm
post #21 of 24

Dairy, Corn Free Pourable Icing

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Dec 2017 , 5:46pm
post #22 of 24

Job well done!  What more can you ask for!  Congrats!

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Dec 2017 , 5:46pm
post #23 of 24

Job well done!  What more can you ask for!  Congrats!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Dec 2017 , 8:54pm
post #24 of 24

wonderful feedback -- and great job! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%