Odd Request - Looking For Someone With A Cottage Food Business To Befriend

Business By theangrycupcake Updated 14 Dec 2017 , 10:59pm by kakeladi

theangrycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theangrycupcake Posted 14 Dec 2017 , 6:52am
post #1 of 3

I am always worrying and stressing about cake orders for no reason at all. I always worry I charge too much (although I charge the least in my area and my prices are very low compared to things I've seen on this forum) because I grew up with a stingy mother who would not buy brand name foods because it was more expensive. 

I often ask questions about pricing, decorating, etc, to my fiance and he never has any answers because he is a mechanic and not a baker. What he knows about baking comes from my knowledge and so I cannot ask him for information that I do not know myself. 

I am looking for someone with baking experience, I have had my own cottage food business for about two years, to ask (often silly) questions to, and to discuss experiences and errors and what not with. I am basically asking for a friend that also bakes. 

If anyone is interested I'd love to exchange numbers! :) Thanks in advance. 

2 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 14 Dec 2017 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 3

Your fiance may be able to help more than you think ;)  Business is business, regardless of the end product.  Do you charge too much?  For a mechanic, he takes the cost of the parts, any overhead and the cost of the labor to get their price - same as you would with cake - ingredients, overhead and labor.  For a mechanic, he charges X amount per hour.  For you, you should have a set price for your labor - what is your time worth?  When we finagle cake prices, we mess with our hourly wage.  I stopped thinking I was charging too much when I realized the time away from family is priceless, so if you want me to divert time away from my family, you will pay me what I am worth.  I don't take my car to a mechanic and tell them their price is too high and ask for a discount.  I either shop around for a lower priced mechanic or I pay their price.  I do believe you get what you pay for, so the cheapest option is not always the best option.

Anyway, just wanted to point that out.  I am a hobby baker, working under cottage food laws, but I don't think of myself as experienced. Several years and wedding cakes later, but I am still a part timer and have so much to learn - mostly on the business end :) 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2017 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 3

Really you can just come on here and many of us 'old timers' would be willinjg/glad to answer your ?s.   Maybe 1 or 2 would do it by e-mail.  I'd be glad to help but having been retired some 8-10 yrs not I'm not up much on pricing or newer techniques.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%