Black Walnut Cake

Baking By B.E.Sweetcakes Updated 21 Dec 2017 , 1:59am by SandraSmiley

B.E.Sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B.E.Sweetcakes Posted 13 Dec 2017 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all! I'm fairly new here and this is my first post! My friend has requested a black walnut cake and I have to admit I have never eaten one, much less made one.

I've been looking on the internet for some recipies but I wanted to know if anyone here had any suggestions? From what I've seen it seems like buttermilk should be used in the batter and cream cheese frosting is pretty standard.

Have any of you ever made one? Or eaten one and could give me an idea what it should taste like? Thank you!

8 replies
Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 18 Dec 2017 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 9

I see nobody responded to your post.  Personally, I do not like black walnut in anything - to me it is bitter tasting.  But.... If that's what they want, then they probably know what they will get.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Dec 2017 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 9

I was sure I replies to this  but don't see it:(   I are right there with Nana52 - except to me black walnuts have a strong vinegar taste that I cannot stand. I did not have them in a cake but straight out of the shell.  As Nana said, if that's what was requested they must know what they will get.

kakeladi Posted 18 Dec 2017 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 9

Ha ha typos:)    " I areright there.........."

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Dec 2017 , 12:33am
post #5 of 9

I must speak up in defense of black walnuts.  Having lived all my life in the southern US, I grew up eating black walnuts.  They do have a very strong, destinct flavor, which I love (but I also like hickory nuts, blue cheese and anchovies).  I don't think I've ever eaten a black walnut cake, per say, but they are a perfect pairing with chocolate.  Chocolate brownies, cake, cookies are all elevated to new heights when black walnuts are added.  The fresh ones you pick up off the ground, hull and pick out fresh are much better and stronger than the ones you can buy in the grocery.

For all of you who hate them, good, that leaves more for me, haha!

kakeladi Posted 20 Dec 2017 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 9

Sandra said: "........For all of you who hate them, good, that leaves more for me, haha!".......

I agree if somene grew up with a certain taste/food which they enjoy it will be 'good/loved'.   I never had any until I was in IN (ived there in my 60s) and yes, Sandra I picked them up off the ground fresh so ...... it must have been the very strong and different flavor that I object to :)  I'm no longer in IN or I'd send all of my share to Sandra :)

SandraSmiley Posted 20 Dec 2017 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 9

Haha, Kakeladi!  You can send avocados and lemons instead!  

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 20 Dec 2017 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 9

Being another Southerner, I love black walnuts. I remember trying to crack them on the carport and them shooting across it instead of cracking.  Lots of work for very little meat. 

My aunt used to make one using a yellow cake mix with black walnuts added. Then it was frosted with cream cheese frosting. I loved it as a kid, But I'd make a scratch cake now. 

I also made some black walnut ice cream at work, it was yummy :)

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Dec 2017 , 1:59am
post #9 of 9

Haha, rychevamp!  I can relate to the escaping walnuts!  They really are a lot of work.  I've always wondered how squirrels can crack that shell and eat them.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%