Help With Petit Fours

Baking By cakefan92 Updated 7 Dec 2017 , 11:31pm by MBalaska

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 6 Dec 2017 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hey, All!  I've been baking for years but I've never done petit fours.  For those of you who have, how and when do you torte your cake?  Do you freeze or not?  Do you torte, fill and then cut into small pieces, or cut first? I'm afraid if I cut and then torte, I won't be able to keep squares (or rounds) with really sharp corners. But on the other hand, if I torte into really narrow layers, will I be able to handle and fill without breaking them?

I'd really appreciate any tips and advice you can give me.

Thanks.

6 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 6 Dec 2017 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 7

The few times that I made them, I torte, fill, place top layer back on, fridge for 1 hour, then cut. The cake and filling firms up nicely so there's no sliding. I use my Wilton level to torte, and use a cake board to slide underneath the top layer so I can slide it off without breaking it. 

cakefan92 Posted 6 Dec 2017 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 7

Sounds reasonable.  I was wanting to torte into 3 layers but may just start with 2.  I plan to try it the first part of next week - tonight it's popcorn balls. : )  Thank you!

cakefan92 Posted 6 Dec 2017 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 7

Sounds reasonable.  I was wanting to torte into 3 layers but may just start with 2.  I plan to try it the first part of next week - tonight it's popcorn balls. : )  Thank you!

cakefan92 Posted 7 Dec 2017 , 2:00am
post #5 of 7

So just an update . . .   popcorn balls are NOT hubby's forte'.  Hilarity did ensue.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 Dec 2017 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 7

Gave up on popcorn balls and substituted carmel corn....yummmm! Bagged nicely and much tastier and easier to eat and share. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Dec 2017 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 7

https://www.cakecentral.com/tutorial/56981/how-to-do-petit-foursmy-way

I used her tutorial and Getchen Prices poured fondant recipe:

Help With Petit Fours

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%