Pricing / Charging For 6 Inch 8 Inch Cake , Two-Tiered Cake

Business By Nicolerod84 Updated 6 Dec 2017 , 11:01pm by cakefan92

Nicolerod84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolerod84 Posted 5 Dec 2017 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there! I've been a long time snooper, but this is my first crack at posting my own pricing question. I know that can often be a hot button for some cake artists, so I appreciate any courteous support :) 

As I continue to build my home cottage baking business, I'm striving to enter the realm of "competitive pricing". Let's just say after 4 years, I'm done with making $5 an hour for my services, and my boyfriend is putting his foot down on my super "friend and family discounts" (I mean does a friend's - sister's - cousin in law really count as a friend anyways?? lol). 

I live in Fort Lauderdale, so the pricing in my area at local cake shoppes (and even many of the established home cake businesses) is likely higher than a lot of other areas. So with that in mind, what would you charge for this cake example attached? This is a sample of what the client would like the 6" inch top tier to look like, but in fondant, not in buttercream. And a few more cascading flowers. The bottom tier will be an 8 inch round, covered in solid pink fondant with a ribbon at the base. They will be tall tiers, so I'm estimating 28-30 servings. (I typically take about 2 servings off of each cake size, from Wilton's chart. I think there's is a little high and Earlene's is a little low for tall cakes).

She would like the quote to be based on doing two different cake flavors (like alternating layers). She also requested a cake tasting of 4 flavors which I will provide as mini, undecorated, cakes. And lastly, I will be delivering this cake (I include delivery in my pricing). 

For premium filling (custards and fruits), I am quoting $210 for the cake plus $20 for the cake tasting samples = $230 

If she decides on doing buttercream filling, I am quoting $200 for the cake plus $20 for the cake tasting samples = $220 

What do you think? 

Also, in general what is your price range for Buttercream cakes vs. Fondant Cakes?  I'm thinking of offering my prices at $3-$5 for buttercream designs, and $5-$8 for fondant designs (with elaborating wedding designs being at that higher level - not something I typically do anyways). As I mentioned, I include delivery, so I just rolled that into my increased pricing. 

That pricing model would put this cake at approximately $7-$7.50 per serving.

(If I was to quote my delivery price separately at for $15 for example, it would be 6.50-$7 per serving). 

Sorry for being wordy... I just want to make sure you had all the details. Hoping that I'm not swinging too far in the opposite direction now, and getting into the "overcharging" realm. 

Pricing / Charging For 6 Inch 8 Inch Cake , Two-Tiered CakeThank you in advance!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Dec 2017 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 4

you can get 39 servings -- it doesn't matter how tall the cake is if it is one tier -- it's the footprint that determines servings not height -- you get about the same amount of servings for a 4" tall cake as you do a 6" tall one -- because if you cut a 5" or 6" tall cake less than an inch wide it will likely bend and break --

delivery should be a separate line item -- there's a difference between a 10 mile and a 20 mile delivery -- one should cost twice as much for twice as much time/distance --

at $200 you are getting about $5 a serving -- i think it should be at least $6-$7 per because you are using 25% to 50% more materials for the taller cakes that do not increase your servings -- probably more than that if you are in a pricier area

horizontal strips are not easy -- depending on how you make them -- the bottom cake is gonna need more than a skinny little ribbon to balance out the evenly decorated top tier i think -- but all your current customers are going to scatter when you raise your prices -- you need to cultivate a whole new pack --

best to you

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2017 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 4

I tend to agree w/K8 on this....it doesn't matter how tall the cake {well to a degree LOL} so you will not get more servings out of it.   Also remember that most plates used to serve dessert won't hold a 6" tall cake w/o 'slop-over' :(  Don't short-change your self.....get your prices up.  As K8 said, you most likely will have to grow a whole new customer base.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 6 Dec 2017 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 4

I'm curious about the tasting part.  I get the impression that this is a birthday cake.  Since you're charging for tasting samples it's kind of a moot point, but since when do people get the idea they can have a tasting for a birthday cake?  Just wondering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%