How Much Should I Charge For A 3 Tier Cake, With One Tier Filled With Quarter Size Gum Paste Petals For 75 People.

Baking By Bwaddell Updated 1 Dec 2017 , 4:21am by SandraSmiley

Bwaddell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bwaddell Posted 28 Nov 2017 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 5

I charge by the slice but this cake specifically the bottom tier will be a 10inch round and she wants it filled with pedals. It will be alot of work and even tho I normally charge per flower for large ones Im not sure how to charge for all of these small pedals.How Much Should I Charge For A 3 Tier Cake, With One Tier Filled With Quarter Size Gum Paste Petals For 75 People.

4 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 30 Nov 2017 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 5

Gum paste is tasteless and many people would not eat it but peel it off. I can't imagine people wanting all gum paste but different strokes for different folks. On you tube type in decorated petal cakes and you will see all different kinds of petal cakes done in fondant or buttercream showing the techniques they use to do it and what piping tips they use and how to hold it and pipe them.  Good luck and please post a picture of your cake!!  For me personally, gum paste would ruin a cake for me especially if knowing how tasteless it is. I don't care for fondant either but if I was forced to choose between gum paste and fondant,  I would choose fondant any day over gum paste. My all time favorite though would be buttercream petals!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2017 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 5

yes i like what remnant said -- buttercream is best for taste -- another idea to add to that is you can flavor fondant so it's a candy -- people might not eat it but they could if they wanted to -- i would not use gum paste at all -- i shudder when people use gum paste decor for cupcakes -- i think it should all be edible on a cupcake --

yes -- would love to see a picture -- i just dittto everything remnant said :)

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 30 Nov 2017 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 5

I would estimate how many pedals you need and divide that by how many flowers that amount of pedals makes . Then charge her for that many flowers. For example....  if it take 100 pedals to cover the bottom tier  and you use 10 pedals to make a flower....100 divided by 10 is 10 ....so it would make 10 flowers . Charge her what you normally would as if you were putting 10 flowers on the cake.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Dec 2017 , 4:21am
post #5 of 5

I agree with remnant3333 and -K8memphis that gum paste would be awful.  For one thing, it dries as hard as a rock and is brittle.  It would break all to pieces when the cake was cut.  And it does taste like sweet glue.  Fondant would be a far better choice.  Allow yourself several hours to do the bottom tier because it is very time consuming.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%