Cake And Cake Pops - How Many Of Each?

Baking By Freckles0829 Updated 28 Nov 2017 , 7:26pm by Freckles0829

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 27 Nov 2017 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to make a two tiered cake and cake pops for a baby shower.  Approximately 50 people are going to attend.

How large of a cake (6" and 8" tiers or 8" and 10" tiers) should I make?  And how many cake pops?  I am thinking making a cake that feeds 50 and then also making 50 cake pops is way too much cake.  So I am leaning towards making a larger cake (8" and 10" tiers) and then limiting the cake pops to about 2 dozen.  Then again, I could be completely off base.

Thoughts?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2017 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 6

i suggest a 10x7 and the couple dozen pops -- 10x7 is prettier than 10x8 and you'll have enough servings

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 27 Nov 2017 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 6

6" and 8" round tiers will give you about 36 servings.  I would offer that and let the client decide if they want 2 or 3 dozen pops on top of that.

8" and 10" rounds will give you way too much cake - 60ish servings of cake alone.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Nov 2017 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 6

i don't think anyone will eat a pop and not get a serving of cake -- i would if i attended the shower -- to me they are a little extra thing -- so i would cover the servings needed with cake -- i mean do you consider three pops as a serving? or how many make a serving?  so that's eight additional servings give or take? so i would not feel comfy providing 42 servings myself if they need 50 -- idk i'm not a pop person i guess --

i just like the 10x7 size, but it is a lot of servings like melmar says -- 58 servings  -- 9x6 is 45 servings

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Nov 2017 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 6

Like K8 I'm nor a pop person. The ones I have had were mushy - I made them, but have tried several times and they just come out that way to me.   So I would make more cake and probably closer to 30-40 pops. 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 28 Nov 2017 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all of the advice!  After deciding to go with K8memphis suggestion on cake size and number of pops, I got a message back from my friend that the cake pops are actually going to be considered the favor (I originally thought that they were just going to be an additional dessert) so I will definitely need enough cake to feed everyone a slice plus at least 4 dozen cake pops.  Plus there was talk about decorated sugar cookies....I guess they aren't as definite in their plans as I first originally thought.

So I am going to stick with the 10" and 7" cake since I would rather have a bit more cake than people since most people I know don't know how to cut a cake "correctly" thus leading to larger cut slices, and any leftover cake can be sliced, wrapped up well and thrown in the freezer for future "I really need a slice of cake" days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%