((Cake Sos)) 3 Cakes For Thanksgiving, So Little Time! Who Has The Best ((From Scratch)) Strawberry Cake Recipe? No Jello! Lol

Baking By CupCake.Goddess Updated 14 Dec 2017 , 2:15pm by CupCake.Goddess

CupCake.Goddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake.Goddess Posted 20 Nov 2017 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 15

I have THREE cakes to make this week!  One, is a hummingbird which is my favorite!  I'm looking very forward to making this cake.  : )  However, I have two ladies who want strawberry cakes.   One cake is for a birthday and the other is for a friend who has been very kind to my family.  I don't want to do the jello thing guys.  I don't like strawberry flavored anything but they do and I'm really hoping these cakes will ((amazing)).  Who can help?

14 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2017 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 15

Google 'strawberry cake recipe' - there are dozens of suggestions for you to choose from.

I would add maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cup puree or chopped berries to each white batter/recipe.  Use your favorite recipe.  OR another way to go is to swirl good quality jam through the batter for a marbled cake.

kcp2264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcp2264 Posted 21 Nov 2017 , 1:00am
post #3 of 15

make favorite vanilla cake and pulverize freeze dried strawberries and throw them in.

post #4 of 15

make favorite vanilla cake and pulverize freeze dried strawberries and throw them in.

post #5 of 15

CupCake.Goddess Posted 21 Nov 2017 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 15

Jam... I never thought of that @kakeladi.  Target has a fruit "spread" and it is DELICIOUS!  Yes, I looked up some and a lot said use strawberry puree but I'm scared the cakes won't be firm enough.  Maybe I can reduce them on the stove to make them thicker...hmm.... 

For vanilla, I use cake mix @kcp2264.  I've tried to do from scratch white/yellow cake and it doesn't come out right.  Duncan Hines has an excellent mix.  No one can tell if its doctored so its the best of both worlds! : )

CupCake.Goddess Posted 21 Nov 2017 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 15
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2017 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 15

i'm a jello kid -- i tested different recipes back when and the only thing that worked for moi was the jello plus fresh strawberries -- i know that's not your thing -- just saying --

i got to go to one of the world pastry forums when it was in nashville one year -- omg it was wonderful -- one chef explained his seemingly endless journey to make a satisfactory strawberry ice cream to please the head chef -- tried everything -- then he added some nestle strawberry milk powder stuff -- that one added flavor finally hit it with the head chef and the ice cream got the green light to go on the menu -- all that to say -- flavors are such an interesting study -- i forget the ratio now but essentially they said you need a certain amount of known familiar flavors to the rest being new flavors -- 

so me being a jello kid as i grew up -- the jello in the cake made it for me -- the strawberry powder made it for that head chef -- so just food for thought -- something as straight forward as strawberry can get quite complicated huh --

hope it goes great -- happy thanksgiving :)

JustOneMoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustOneMoreCake Posted 21 Nov 2017 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 15

Stella Parks has a scratch strawberry cake recipe I really want to try.

CupCake.Goddess Posted 22 Nov 2017 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 15

@K8memphis  I actually saw strawberry jello that was on sale yesterday and said screw it.  I'll make it taste good anyway. lol  Strawberry Quick...fancy that.  : )

@JustOneMoreCake  Is her recipe on here?

JustOneMoreCake Posted 22 Nov 2017 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 15

@CupCake.Goddess - no, it isn't.  It's on Serious Eats, though.  Wait, is that not okay to mention?  Go ahead and delete this msg if it isn't.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2017 , 10:11pm
post #12 of 15

cc goddess --i can't find that cookbook -- but i used milk for the liquid in a white cake mix with the package of jello and some  cut strawberries -- cut small enough so the cake still serves well -- i might have tossed them in flour or cake mix first -- they do tend to settle some but it still makes a lovely layer of strawberry in there

CupCake.Goddess Posted 8 Dec 2017 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 15

That sounds lovely -k8 memphis!  I did make it with the jello and it turned out very well.  I'm going to try your recipe the next time she asks for one. The hummingbird cake was a hit and I made my first ever, from scratch white cake!!  My friends loved all three!

Why wouldn't that be okay to mention JustOneMoreCake?  *confused*

JustOneMoreCake Posted 12 Dec 2017 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 15

Some websites aren't cool with possibly directing traffic towards another website. 

CupCake.Goddess Posted 14 Dec 2017 , 2:15pm
post #15 of 15

Ah okay! : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%