Royal Icing Problems

Decorating By lamcf120 Updated 18 Nov 2017 , 1:40pm by cutiger

lamcf120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lamcf120 Posted 16 Nov 2017 , 11:56am
post #1 of 3

Calling all royal icing experts.....  I read on line and in these forums that you can royal icing decorated cookies.  Well, I decorated them, allowed them to dry (at least 12 - 24 hours), then wrapped and froze them.  When I took one out to use as a test to see how it did.....when it thawed, the piping around the edge of the cookie completely came off!!!  The cookie is a gingerbread and now I have to redo 300 cookies.  I'm a bit bummed, but glad I took out the test as this will give me time to redo the piping on these cookies.  My worry now is that the writing on the cooking will also fall off (I'm hoping it won't as long as I don't touch the writing).  The piping came off very easy with just a little pressure by picking up the cookie.  SO....my question is why?  Is it the icing itself?  Is it the freezing?  I used Wilton in the box RI....  All comments welcomed.  Oh one other note....the holly leaves that would put on the cookie that are pre-made were held on using the same RI that the piping was done with...these are on there like stone.  Thanks in Advance for the help and support.

2 replies
inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 3

I find that outlines just come off sometimes. I don't think it's the freezing, I've had them come off when they weren't frozen. I think they just get brittle because they are such fine lines. Other than handling them carefully , I don't think there is much you can do other than outlining them when flooding them.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 18 Nov 2017 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 3

I;ve had it fall off when my icing is too stiff. Try adding a teaspoon of corn syrup or glycerine to your icing. Seems to help the icing attach to the cookie a little better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%