-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 57

whada you makin' for thanksgiving???

56 replies
-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 57

i want to make this kale salad -- i like kale chips that i make -- here's a blog post re: kale chips --

http://k8memphis.blogspot.com/2013/12/kale-chips.html#more

but this salad is cool because it says squishing/massaging the small kale strips with the smoked chopped almonds breaks down the kale so its nicer to eat fresh -- it's too bouyant for my taste so i'll report back on that one:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/recipes/kale-salad-with-smoked-almonds-and-picada-crumbs

and i'm doing chocolate covered strawberries because my sweet hostess loves them, they are light and decadent and mostly fruit -- 

and maybe some other stuff -- because my husband and i take turns being the other's sous chef -- i talk him through some of his creations and he helps me with mine

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 57

well maybe that makes me the head chef -- hahahaha

whada yah makin'?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 57

Can't help you K8memphis...we Canadians have had our Thanksgiving..

-K8memphis Posted 14 Nov 2017 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 57

well how was it -- what did you have?

jchuck Posted 14 Nov 2017 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 57

I'm assuming K8memphis you mean me jchuck??

My niece hosted Thanksgiving dinner. The usual..turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, yams and salad. Pumpkin pie and my pumpkin spice chocolate cake for dessert.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Nov 2017 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 57

yes, jchuck -- i had to type my post twice and i inadvertently left your name out the second time -- sorry --

sounds like a lovely dinner 

jchuck Posted 14 Nov 2017 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 57

K8memphis

Well your reply isn't here..so answering using your answer thru my email.

Yes, it was a lovely thanksgiving dinner. Always more enjoyable when you don't have to do all the cooking!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Nov 2017 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 57

We are having Thanksgiving dinner at my nephews new home this year and he and his wife are planning to do most of the cooking (wooooohoooo, after 40 something years!), so I will make a pumpkin pie for him, as usual, fresh cranberry-orange relish and deviled eggs.  Nothing else has been decided...some sort of cake, for sure.  Mike is planning to smoke a turkey breast for us, too.  He has a new grill-smoker and it is awesome.

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 15 Nov 2017 , 2:02am
post #10 of 57

I'm lucky this year and got invited to my sister's house , but I am making homemade dinner rolls, crockpot corn ,pecan pie, and apple pie.  She is making the stuffing, turkey, yams, plus other family members are making deviled eggs, coleslaw, mashed potatoes and other pies. So literally a feast. 

jchuck Posted 15 Nov 2017 , 3:05am
post #11 of 57

Oh my Sandra & Bakerlady2

All the food soubds delicious..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Nov 2017 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 57

nothing :(    Being alone there is no reason to cook anything special.   I might get myself a lobster tail -- that sounds good.

jchuck Posted 15 Nov 2017 , 10:33pm
post #13 of 57

Ahhh..sorry kakeladi your aline for thanksgiving. No family near? No friends to share it with. A widow at my church is opening her door Christmas day for dinner to other "no family" friends. She knows what its like to be alone fir Christmas dinner.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 16 Nov 2017 , 6:12pm
post #14 of 57

I've got an even dozen people coming over and almost everything is on the menu

Italians like a pasta course (after the antipasta course and before the turkey course) so I'm making lasagna.   A few years back with a smaller crowd I made individual lasangas but that is not happening this  year!  And for those who can't pasta (like my gluten-free sister) I am also making a butternut squash soup that is really delish!  It doesn't have any heavy cream or dairy in it at all but it's still creamy tasting!  

Last year I made a cake in my rectangular casserole dish and iced it to look like a dish of mashed potatoes.  This year I'm making actual mashed potatoes but the family will be skeptical - lol!  I think I'll make an orange cake shaped like a pumpkin with my bundt pan as a table decoration.  I have a lot of plans for a person with more than a full time regular job - I am at least trying to take Wednesday off!

Sorry you're not nearby @kakeladi - you could join us!  Although there is never a bad time for a lobster tail - enjoy!

Theresa

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 16 Nov 2017 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 57

We're having really simple turkey and dressing with cranberry sauce, a green salad and rolls.  Not sure exactly when that's going to be since we've both volunteered to work on Thanksgiving so those with kids and family coming can take off.  Since it's just us, that's no big deal.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Nov 2017 , 7:55pm
post #16 of 57

lynne, i'm sorry you're by yourself this year but i'm thankful we've been cake buddies all these years

octopus bird -- that's the closest i can get to lobster & turkey -- hope yours is much much better!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 12:04am
post #17 of 57

I, too,  hate to think of you being alone, Lynne.  One of the things for which I am thankful this year is meeting you and our new friendship!  Enjoy lobster - doesn't get any better than that!

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 2:27am
post #18 of 57

I'm on my own by choice this year. Since I work in a restaurant, my family will be about 3 hours away, and I chose to work the day after. Too much driving for one day. I need to be off the week after, so my assistant is taking Thanksgiving weekend. 

I'm gonna get a crab at Whole Foods, roast it, garlic bread and a good Chardonnay. 

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 4:37am
post #19 of 57

Wow, all this food sounds amazing! So hungry right now! We don't do Thanksgiving in Aus but I am looking forward to Christmas. I think I may do something different and do a pecan pie - sounds so delish.

I was alone one Christmas when I was living in London and I have to say, I had THE NICEST Christmas I had had in a long time! I absolutely splurged and made myself a beautiful seven course dinner and had lovely champagne cocktails throughout the day. I was sloshed by the time my final course was ready and then put a cheesy Christmas movie on and fell asleep with a full and happy tummy, I was almost purring I was so content. No bickering family, no arguments over music so I could play all my cheesy stuff to my heart's content, nobody telling me I had to wear a paper hat from the cracker just because everyone else was (I had a box of six crackers to myself, I wore all six paper hats - heheh), dancing in the kitchen...  I had a lovely day just spoiling myself.

I hope you can have a nice Thanksgiving even if you are alone, kakeladi  xxxxx

-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 2:00pm
post #20 of 57

meme, you made me laugh -- sloshed & stylin' in all six hats heheheheheh

rychevamp & cakefan -- i worked holidays to let others be with family until i got my family -- but then bakeries are always open christmas eve too 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 2:06pm
post #21 of 57

theresa, wow that sounds good! i'm polish-- i mean i love italian sausage -- but you just can't get Good polish sausage around here in west tennessee -- i need to work on that -- but and i know we've had this conversation before, my daughter makes pierogi every year in homage to my sweet little mom & pop -- i have everything to be thankful for --

-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 2:12pm
post #22 of 57

sandra, we get to share a meal with my daughter's in-law's again this year-- wonderful sweet time -- my son-in-law can cook! but this year my daughter has to work! she has the honor of going to nyc with her job an lcsw to be the liaison for st jude patients appearing on the today show -- so proud of here -- we'll have a mini thanksgiving w/her  

bakerlady -- that sounds so good -- apple pie and deviled eggs mmmm -- i think i'm gonna do deviled eggs now :)

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 2:20pm
post #23 of 57

Wow Kate happy to hear about your daughter and her good work !

Theresa

jchuck Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 2:30pm
post #24 of 57

Ahh K8memphis

My hubby is Polish. My daughter and I were just talking about Babcia yesterday. We don't have any Polish food on Thanksgiving, purely traditional. But Christmas Eve..fish, pierogies, cabbage rolls,  kapusta, of course patychky, and turkey. Sadly, no borscht. No one likes beet soup but me!!

jchuck Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 2:37pm
post #25 of 57

Weird..the rest of my message never got posted!!.. My niece is hosting this year for Christmas Eve. I'm making the cabbage rolls for her. We also have Chrusciki cookies (Angel wings)  as part of dessert.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 4:45pm
post #26 of 57

thank you so much, theresa 

jchuck -- wow you have a lot of ethnic goodies -- cabbage rolls mmmmmm gwumpky! 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 4:50pm
post #27 of 57

jchuck, have an angel wing for me :)

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 17 Nov 2017 , 10:09pm
post #28 of 57

This year we have three dinners to attend. I have school conferences same day as hubby's extended family dinner. So my older son 18 is practicing for thursday by making no bake pumpkin cheese cake. On Thursday lunch at my sisters again he's making the cheesecake, my youngest 10 is making "gigi's" celebration fruit salad which most people call ambrosia. I am bringing stuffing, deviled eggs two ways and rolls also. For dinner we are going to My inlaws. I bring deviled eggs there too ussually. My sweet mother in law does most of the cooking for both the extended family dinner and our intimate family dinner. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2017 , 10:12pm
post #29 of 57

Thanks everyone for the kudos.  Don't feel too bad for me.   I intend to overindulge in foodball and enjoy myself.  I can do whatever I want! :)  

Sure it would be nice to have many others around and if I knew of a 'soup kitchen' needing help I'd jump right in......I'm most at home in a kitchen.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 18 Nov 2017 , 11:34pm
post #30 of 57

For Years, I had lots of Thanksgiving days "on" and "off" of having to deal with shopping/buying/expense/cleaning house/prep/cooking/hot kitchens/and being tired by the end of the holiday.  I relished it on those years "off"!!  Now it is me +1, so this year, we are having aged Prime Rib, salad, and lemon meringue pie.

But not before I go for a long bike ride :)  hehe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%