Oil Based Vs Butter Based Cake

Baking By BeeAnn Updated 13 Nov 2017 , 10:50pm by jchuck

BeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeAnn Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 2

Hi

I have been trying out a few different choc cake recipes for my daughters birthday. I have done one oil based cake that most people preferred because it was lighter and more moist, and a normal butter based cake (that I preferred).  So taste wise looks like the oil based cake wins but my concern with the oil based cake is that it was almost too light and spongy - one broke in half when I took it out of the tin and it didn't seem to stack that well.  I didn't cut them straight but I am concerned that it won't be very easy to cut across because it is so springy.  When I cut it into pieces the rows I cut out seemed to fall over quite easily too because it was so springy.

I am used to doing choc mud cakes which are very dense so that probably explains some of my worry!

I am going to do a 13 x 9 rectangular cake (just one tier but two / three layers so it is about 3-4 inches tall) and it will have some fondant figures on it plus a tower (paw patrol themed so the lookout tower) made out of rice krispie treats and fondant and cardboard circles.  So it doesn't need to hold other tiers but does need to be able to support the fondant I cover it with plus the tower.

Does anyone have any tips in terms of stacking oil based cakes, covering them with fondant and generally making sure they hold up ok?  Or would people recommend not doing them.  I am happy to do the butter based cake if that is less risky, although some people said it tasted too dry.

1 reply
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 13 Nov 2017 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 2

If you add cooled strong  coffee in place of water in your recipe.this will enhance the chocolate flavour. And use less oil and add 1/3 - 1/2 cup of yogurt, sour cream or mayo to your recipe.  It will not only make your cake denser but moist too. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%