Cake Extender Added To Scratch Carrot Cake Mix?

Baking By Naty Updated 11 Nov 2017 , 1:18am by jchuck

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 10 Nov 2017 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 3

Hello,

I need to make carrot cake cupcakes for a party Friday. My carrot cake recipe serves 12, and I would like to extend it to at least 18 cupcakes. Thinking of adding a boxed carrot cake mix to extend the batter because it would be cheaper than doubling the ingredients.  Would I need to add the box cake ingredients called for in the box, the mix, then add that batter to my scratch batter? Has anyone done this before? Any ideas or tips on mixing homemade batter with commercial batter?

Thanks

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Nov 2017 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 3

yes put in the ingredients for the box mix -- but i would add all the dry ingredients then just add everything logically so i only had to mix once -- but you could make each batter and combine -- no worries

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 11 Nov 2017 , 1:18am
post #3 of 3

Why don't you just use the boxed carrott cake mix. Then  add 1 cup of flour to the cake mix and carry on with the rest of the ingredients listed. Add a bit more water or sour cream/yogurt to balance the extra flour. And of course, add the spices as you would have in your original scratch recipe.

This would yield you 18-20 cupcakes. Saves making two complete batters and combining.  And those batters combined would make probably 24-30 cupcakes. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%