Cake With Styrofoam & Fresh Flowers

Decorating By Nancylee1952 Updated 8 Nov 2017 , 12:36am by me_me1

Nancylee1952 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylee1952 Posted 6 Nov 2017 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 4

Need to make a cake similar to this - thinking three 8” cake layers, which would sit on 8” covered cardboard cake plate and would then sit on 8” x probably 2” styrofoam and then on a nice 10 or 12” cake plate or stand.   Then grab some real flowers from store and insert into the styrofoam, which I wouldn’t do until probably Saturday morning so that they stay fresh.  Your thoughts!! Would this work?

3 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 7 Nov 2017 , 3:49am
post #2 of 4

Yup, that would work. You would need to wire the stems to be able to insert them though otherwise they might just smoosh against the styrofoam. The flowers in the pic in your other thread are sugar flowers I think. Depending on the flowers and how long they would last, you might be able to get away with just having flower heads with a tiny bit of stem and then just sticking them to the side/base of the cake with buttercream and resting the smaller ones in the gaps - hope that makes sense. I've done that with roses before and they lasted just fine.

Or you could ask a florist to make a flower crown/collar to go around the base of the cake. I do that a lot too  :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2017 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 4

this is slightly related to your question -- but it is a great idea -- i haven't tried it yet but i'd like to -- makes it so user friendly

this is the 8" -- and there's a 6"

http://www.fancyflours.com/product/8-inch-easy-arranger-cakevase/s

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 8 Nov 2017 , 12:36am
post #4 of 4

Oh that looks great! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%