Oil Cakes Too Firm

Baking By MilkNHoney84 Updated 27 Oct 2017 , 9:54pm by MilkNHoney84

MilkNHoney84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MilkNHoney84 Posted 23 Oct 2017 , 3:32am
post #1 of 4

I've tried making several oil based cakes and they are all too firm, too coarse, or both. And I use cake flour in all my cakes. Perhaps I'm used to butter cakes and their tenderness, but I would like a cake to use in ice cream and other cakes from the fridge.

The Cake Boss recipe didn't work for me, a lemon olive oil cake didn't work for me and neither did the Grown Up Birthday cake from food52.com. I'm not sure about the Cake Boss cake, but the lemon olive oil cake had three eggs and I beat the eggs with the sugar until it increased in volume....but it seemed like too many eggs for the flour. I'll l put the ingredients below for the lemon cake

1 2/3 cups flour (I used cake)

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup olive oil

1/2 cup milk (I used buttermilk)

Lemon zest

Any suggestions? TIA! 

3 replies
Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 24 Oct 2017 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 4

Your recipe doesn't have an egg amount.  Have you tried making it without substituting the flour and milk? If you change the ingredients the texture will be different.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2017 , 12:27am
post #3 of 4

yeah what bakerlady said -- you need to give the recipes a fair shake by making them as written -- it's like setting your gps for a destination and purposely missing two turns -- you're just not gonna get there kwim

MilkNHoney84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MilkNHoney84 Posted 27 Oct 2017 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 4

Whoops!. I left the eggs out of my post. There were 3 eggs used.

I tried a similar recipe that called for ribboning the eggs and sugar, but got a pound cake texture.....VERY HEAVY. But I did notice the recipe lists a cup of flour as being 5 oz.....so that may be the problem. I followed the recipe exactly, but it turned out sooo heavy.  I'll try it again but reduce the flour. 

As for the Grown Up Birthday recipe......it was tender, but very coarse, like corn bread. My grandmother LOVED IT. Me, not so much. 

Thanks for your help! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%