Fondant Meltdown

Decorating By Meechie69 Updated 22 Oct 2017 , 7:57pm by kakeladi

Meechie69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meechie69 Posted 22 Oct 2017 , 1:19am
post #1 of 13

I recently started using fondant and really getting into decorating cakes. I made my own find it everything was great made my homemade cake made my homemade icing made my crumb coat good nosh put it in the fridge started to roll out my find it and go to cover my cake and then I see condensation all over my cake..Can anyone answer why this would happen. Is it because the cake was too cold because I believe that you’re supposed to cover that way any help would be greatly appreciated

12 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 22 Oct 2017 , 4:26am
post #2 of 13

That is why there was condensation....cold cake and the temp change from fridge to room temperature. Everyone doesn't cover cold cakes, it is more preference than standard. 

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 22 Oct 2017 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 13

I often refrigerate a cake with ganache or buttercream to set it but I bring it back to room temperature to cover with fondant. Otherwise you have condensation for sure. If you leave it out on the bench it should eventually dry. Dabbing with paper towelling may speed up the process but could leave indentations on the fondant. Don’t touch wet fondant or you are likely to damage it.

post #4 of 13

I often refrigerate a cake with ganache or buttercream to set it but I bring it back to room temperature to cover with fondant. Otherwise you have condensation for sure. If you leave it out on the bench it should eventually dry. Dabbing with paper towelling may speed up the process but could leave indentations on the fondant. Don’t touch wet fondant or you are likely to damage it.

post #5 of 13

post #6 of 13

Cher2309b Posted 22 Oct 2017 , 12:11pm
post #7 of 13

post #8 of 13

post #9 of 13

post #10 of 13

Cher2309b Posted 22 Oct 2017 , 12:14pm
post #11 of 13

Woops ... Sorry about the multiple posts. I couldn’t get the “Submit” button to work and kept pressing. I don’t know how to delete them.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 22 Oct 2017 , 12:41pm
post #12 of 13

Only leave the crumb coated cake in the fridge just long enough to firm up the buttercream.  Then remove and cover with the fondant.  If you leave it in the fridge too long the cake will also cool and then you will get condensation.

So just pop the crumb coated cake in the fridge long enough to knead and roll out the fondant, then remove and cover.

Personally I hate covering a buttercream covered cake in fondant.  I use spreadable ganache under all my fondant cakes.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Oct 2017 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 13

This is my 3rd try to post :(  Keeps saying 'cakecentral not responding' :(

Message to Cher (and others who want to know)  To delete multipul posts or any that you have posted and want to change:  You have to work very quickly - maybe w/in 30 seconds to 1 minute after posting click on the 'action' button on the right side of the message,  A drop down button will offer 3 or 4 choices at the end of which will be 'delete'....click on it :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%