Half Sheet Cake

Baking By CakeBaker_CupcakeMaker Updated 20 Oct 2017 , 7:40pm by kakeladi

CakeBaker_CupcakeMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker_CupcakeMaker Posted 20 Oct 2017 , 5:55am
post #1 of 5

Hi all, I've read a few other threads on here about half sheet cakes. While none of them had a definite answer, I'll be making a half sheet cake 12x18x2 because that's the size pan that I have. My dilemma is that I'm not sure of the servings. I've looked at several charts and 2x2 seems to be the standard party size but that seems small to me! (This is my first sheet cake) My other dilemma is that I need 4o servings, which I can get out of a 12x18 cut into 2x2 but obviously I end up with quite a bit more than 40 servings. This cake has to be a one layer, nothing tiered or carved, so that is why I chose a half sheet. Is that too much cake if they only want 40 servings? I don't want to over serve but with just one layer, I thought a half sheet would be best. I would appreciate any help or advice. Thank you. 

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2017 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 5

that serves like 54 -- i'd just do that -- but you could trim it for exactly 40 servings if you want

but why y'know

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Oct 2017 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 5

Totally agree with -K8memphis.  It is not worth the extra time to trim the cake to exactly 40 servings and it solves your worry about the 2" x 2" servings being too small.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2017 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 5

but please don't worry anyway -- because when people buy cake for an event understand that standards have been set -- it's not like gorging -- and nothing wrong with an occasional gorging as a family on a special treat -- where you get whopping servings in the comfort of your own home or at grandma's or uncle's house --

2x2x2 is a perfect serving -- it's bigger than it sounds -- and it is plenty substantial -- often peeps will want smaller -- sure some want seconds but if you are in business there are standards in place -- have been in place for decades because they work --

all good -- best to you

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2017 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 5

When it comes down to it a 2x2x2 piece of cake is BIGGER than the average/regular sized cupcake.   The other thing I want to point out is if this cake is for a customer be sure you charge for all 54 servings - not the # they requested.  If they bulk at that give them a choise of other sizes/shapes (sq; round etc) that might come closer to that # of 40 = but right off I can't think of any that will give you exactly 40.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%